1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hole-in-one witnesses

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bubbler, Jul 12, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh, umpires have been bumped by our clean-up key for years. Yawnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

"You want to know who witnessed my hole-in-one, huh? Just the President of the United States."

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Oh. NOW Saxby Chambliss wants everyone to believe Obama.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

We require witnesses or the pro shop to report it, but we don't list the witnesses. Nor do we list the brand of ball or club.
    Just course, name of player, hole number, yardage and club selection. We also take double-eagles, eagle-twos, course records and guys who shoot their age. Fuck it, everything in golf is on the honor system. If a guy gets his jollies by calling in a fake hole in one, BFD. It's one line in agate and he's the one who has to live with himself.
    And trust me ... our readers read the holes-in-one, etc., corner of the paper.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And any shithead high school baseball coach can put down every fielders choice or error down as a hit and any shithead football coach can claim he had five kids have 10 or more tackles in a game he won 45-0.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Witnesses are just another way for people to get their name in the paper who don't deserve it. We require witnesses or the club to call it in. But we don't use the witness names.

7. T&C

T&C Member

I got a hole-in-one as a teenager playing on a course with sand greens. I couldn't find the ball anywhere near the green and finally my playing partner looked in the cup and there it was. The club sent it to the manufacturer and it was returned mounted on a tee. Many years later I was on a site for the school I attended and an older guy posted a message that he remembered me and was standing outside a fence near the green one day and saw me get a hole-in-one. I don't remember him being there and wondered why he didn't say right away that the ball was in the cup.

8. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

We got two courses, 40 miles apart, with two aces by two people two days apart. Same name (just one of the three) appears on both witness lists. Could be fishy, could be coincidence.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Six years and 10 months later . . . the thread resurfaces?

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I completely forgot that I started this thread. I still agree with my original points though.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted