1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hole-in-one witnesses

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bubbler, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Why do some newspapers print this shit? Who the fuck cares?

That is all.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No it is not all. I have something to say.

They print the witnesses to show someone saw it.

Sure, you got a hole in one. Yeah, right.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

What Moddy said.
    Otherwise, we'd have people calling in because they didn't think they needed witnesses.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I guess it's to verify that the event actually happened when someone solicits free stuff from the manufactuers of the products they were using to accomplish the feat.

I got all sorts of stuff from titleist, foot joy, lynx, etc., when I made mine.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

It could be worse, I know of papers that announce people who got aces at indoor (video) golf facilities.

Those listings would always rankle a few readers. They'd complain and ask if we we're going to announce their Playstation and Nintendo aces.

6. Oscar Madison

Oscar Madison Member

If that's the case, then why no print a list of witnesses when someone bowls a perfect game or throws a no-hitter.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A baseball no-hitter has built in witnesses. You have to have teammates.
    Golf can be played alone.

Bowling I can't explain.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Sure you can.

You generally can't just call in and say "Hey, I bowled a 300 game." Nowhere I ever worked at least (keep in mind, I was the VERY popular bowling columnist in my first job).

You only get in the paper if you bowl a 300 in a league, at least in my experience.

But papers who print holes in one will take them from any course, and any casual round. Hence the need to put witnesses in there to prevent people from just calling in and saying, "Hey, I made a hole in one."

9. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Exactly what SF said on the bowling. Anyone can bowl a 300...but it doesn't matter if it's no in league play. By being league play, it's signed by the other team, and certified with the bowling congress.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

As an aside, quite a few papers print the holes-in-one without witnesses, but they only take them from the clubs, who presumably have ascertained that each one is legitimate.

11. publicenemy

publicenemy Member

we used to run witnesses, but we don't anymore, mainly because we'd usually get a witness name spelled wrong and then have to rerun the damn thing. but our policy is the ace has to be called in/faxed in/e-mailed in by the golf staff, not by the individual.

and you can get free stuff for making a hole-in-one? i made my only ace about 10 years ago and didn't get squat, other than having to buy my buddies the beer. whassup w/ that?

12. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

What about people who shoot thier age?

Draft saved Draft deleted