1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hole in one -- at 102

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Left_Coast, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Amazing

CHICO, Calif. (AP) _ Elsie McLean thought she might have lost her ball on the par-3, 100-yard fourth hole at Bidwell Park.

Instead, the 102-year-old Chico woman became the oldest golfer ever to make a hole-in-one on a regulation course.

Because of the slope of the green, McLean and her partners couldn't see where her ball landed after she teed off.

''Where's my ball?'' McLean asked.

Her friends, Elizabeth Rake and Kathy Crowder, found it in the cup.

''I said, 'Oh, my Lord. It can't be true. It can't be true.' I was so excited. And the girls were absolutely overcome,'' McLean said.

It was McLean's first ace.

''Well everybody wants a hole-in-one, and I said, 'Why can't I have a hole-in-one?' I came within inches once,'' McLean told television station KNVN.

McLean, who used a driver, broke the age record of 101 set by Harold Stilson in 2001 at Deerfield Country Club in Florida.

McLean, who has been featured in golf magazines before, will appear on ''The Tonight Show with Jay Leno'' on April 24 to celebrate her accomplishment.

''For an old lady,'' she said, ''I still hit the ball pretty good.''

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Did she do her part and buy everyone a drink afterward?

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

She did beforehand to get them drunk to concoct a story like this.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Anyone want to buy a set of golfclubs? Comes with a 1-iron. They're custom made for someone tall. I would hit the ball 5 times farther than that woman. I stink.

5. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

I think she used a 1-iron to make the shot from 100.

6. Songbird

Only God and 102-year-old women can use 1-irons.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I hope she makes it to April 24.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

... for use as a lightning rod in a thunderstorm. Only Jack Nicklaus could ever use that club worth spit.

My mother used to carry a 1-iron and claimed she could hit it halfway decent. Figures.

I carry a driver and utility-type club. After that, it's 3- and 4-iron, the former of which is basically brought out of the bag only to kill snakes ...

Back to topic: Agree with IJAG ... I just hope she makes it to her day on Leno.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Willard Scott just creamed his pants and he doesn't know why.

10. Songbird

Man, that made me laugh, and that lately has been a rarity. Thanks.

11. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

[​IMG]

Twinkie The Kid is laughing at your sentence.

12. Songbird

That's even funnier!

And goddamn, Songbird is hungry for some Twinkies right now. Ding Dongs, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted