1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Holdsclaw retires

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Probably so, but if a maverick sort of owner (no, not Mark Cuban) is going to pay Taurasi and Sue Bird many times what the WNBA can, it's tough to blame her.

2. boots

boots New Member

Holdsclaw has some personal issues that she has to deal with. I'd like to see her make a come back. The league, not the Sparks, needs her presence.

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

Junkie: Have to add the Hanson bros. to your list!

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

[blue]Look, don't hold back, what do you really think about it?[/blue]

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

If that wasn't the definition of Holdsclaw coming out of UT, I don't know what is, sc.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I always thought she came off sort of withdrawn, but that might be hindsight with her depression issues.

7. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

It wasn't Playboy. It was an Australian art photography magazine with other members of the 2004 Australian Olympic teams.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I concur with the notion that the league still lacks for that trancendant player.

Not only has the league not yet seen its Jordan, it really hasn't seen its Magic or Bird or Dr. J or Wilt or even Mikan yet. And given where the game is in its arc of development, not really a surprise.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Yeah. The NBA D-League. How much are they in the red, bleeding the Association dry?

10. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Dawn Staley sticks around, coaching Temple. ... She wasn't a bad player at all and yet her staying in the States didn't help to raise marketability or the profile of the WNBA.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

With the paltry salaries those women make, and with the TV contract they have with ESPN, somehow I doubt the league is hemorrhaging money. It might not make money, but it's probably also not hemorrhaging money.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

All of the teams lose money, but it's not a lot in the grand scheme of things. I read somewhere that it was around $500,000, which is, what, about what the guy on the end of the bench makes in a year. (This was a coupla years ago. Maybe have changed)

Draft saved Draft deleted