1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hold on to your wallet! Sun may sock it to your utility bill....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Jun 8, 2011.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

http://techland.time.com/2011/06/08/spectacular-solar-flare-impresses-may-disrupt-gps-and-power-grids/

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Why would this sock it to our utility bills? Sounds like its going to be very minor.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Now would be the time to invest in solar power. If you can harness the power of solar flares through some strategically placed solar panels, you'd be able to sell a ton of energy to power companies.

Then you could take the profits from your venture and invest them all in gold!

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I would be kind of cool if Bonnaroo this weekend was reduced to an acoustic set.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Clown at work today was complaining because his wife called and said the power was out. "When it gets this hot, every idiot with an air conditioner turns it on, and it knocks the power out," he said, from our air-conditioned workplace.

To me, it doesn't sound all that idiotic to turn on an AC when it gets to 95 degrees.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

True, but how many people crank the AC at their house all day when they're not home? I'd hope that's what he was complaining about.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Currently 93 out and I'm running the AC at 76. Was 78 all day but hey, I still think this is good.

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Or put it toward that 20% downpayment on a home! [/crossthreading]

9. printdust

printdust New Member

If there's no power because of a messed-up grid, they'll find a way to recover their costs. Debt, meet pocketbook and over there, wallet.

Draft saved Draft deleted