1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hogs soap opera... - An UPDATED UPDATE to the earlier UPDATE and another UPDATE

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Feb 9, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Can anyone remember the last time an SEC football coach went after a sports columnist on the radio?
    Arkansas coach Houston Nutt responded to a column by Wally Hall, the sports editor and columnist for the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, on a radio show hosted by Hall.
    Hall didn't have much to say while Nutt was talking, but said he "stood by the column" after Nutt hung up.

The column can be found here...
    http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Sports/181358/

Nutt's comments can be found here
    http://www.kabzfm.com/1037thebuzz/index.htm

News coverage can be found here
    http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article.aspx?aID=96955.41122.109100&view=all

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Re: Hogs soap opera: Arkansas coach fires back

That's a pretty crappy column, I've gotta say.

It's starts out saying that Nutt says it's the media's fault the Hogs' recruiting class was ranked ninth in the SEC.

So what's the context? Was he saying the media interfered with recruiting? Doesn't know enough to rank the team's intelligently? Or did its job in reporting all the bad stuff that Arkansas was guilty of?

I thought it was embarrassing. I don't blame Nutt.

I'd be giving his competitors all the juicy stuff starting today.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There are no real competitors. The D-G is THE paper in Arkansas. The Northwest Arkansas Times is Fayetteville's "hometown" paper but the D-G is the paper of record in Arkansas.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

When people in Boston, Mass. know Arkansas football's been a program seemingly run by Joan Collins' writers on Dynasty, I'd say Nutt's problems go beyond one column by wally.
    I have no idea if the coach is at fault or not, but if I were a blue-chipper who didn't have real pushy parents, what place would there be for me at Arkansas.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Isn't it a bit of a semantics game to debate whether a shoulder is sprained or separated?

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The most striking thing to me was that the columnist had the opportunity to ask whatever he wanted live and on the air to a coach he had just ripped in the morning paper.
    Nutt, who called on his own, basically said the whole column was wrong and then wanted to know why Wally didn't have the conjunes to call him and ask what was going on. A complaint I hear plenty when someone complains is that they weren't asked for comment. I think that's a legit complaint, partly because I have some personal experience on the matter, but also because it makes for a better read to hear both sides.
    Wally also dropped some bombs, but I did some searching on their site, and I couldn't find any recent coverage of some of the things he mentioned.
    He also didn't say much of anything until Nutt hung up. Reportedly he went on at length later on the show but it cuts off after he said that he stood by the column.
    That just seems kind of cowardly to me on Wally's part.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Just Wally being Wally.

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Wally is a whale in a fish pond, a poor man's Randy Galloway. Wally isn't nearly as good as he thinks he is. What he's good at, though, is mailing 'em in. This time, that bit him in the butt.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I had no idea the Outlaw ever left Magic 105. I figured he'd just die there at the mic.

I went in fearing Nutt should've taken a higher road, and came out thinking he made his own case very well. "He got it from the Internet, or he got it from someone's mother." LOL.

Wally Hall blows, but there's no one in that state that can push him out.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

Makes our industry look tired and small.

11. tenacious_g

tenacious_g Member

Could have been a pretty good opportunity for Wally to gain some respect from listeners/his readers by actually saying something during that whole thing before Nutt hung up. I'm not saying get into some sort of verbal sparring match with Nutt, but say something. Come on. You don't drop that many cheap shots in a column - without seeking comment first, mind you - then have the coach not only publically acknowledge something you wrote bothered him, but bothered him enough to call in to your show and then you not man up and take part in the exchange. Seemed rather chicken shit to me.

The third guy, Smith, bothered me, too. He cut Nutt off from really speaking his mind a few times, almost like he was looking out for the guy and making sure he didn't get too excited and say something bad. In as unique a situation as it is to have a DI coach on air willing to go at it with a columnist who just ripped him, Smith should have done a better job just getting the hell out of the way.

12. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I'll be honest, I had a better time looking at the Buzz Babes link while listening to Nutt's rant. But that's just me.

Draft saved Draft deleted