1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hofstra drops football program

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

If you pick up a college guide, all of them list the percentage of applicants vs. the percentage of applicants admitted. It's pretty rare for a 4-year school to admit 100 percent of their applicants or have open admissions.

And it's actually fairly expensive to significantly increase your student population because you then also have to add staff, faculty and services. Something as simple as limited parking can be a big factor.

Most schools actually prefer to admit fewer students and look more selective.

Trust me, the "need" for athletes at the D3 and NAIA level that you're referencing is vastly overblown, mostly invented by coaches.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Not only that, Moddy,I don't think the interest has really been there to put football at VCU. Sure people have talked and hinted about it, but I don't think it's ever been considered. And you are so correct that there are other programs at the school that need help before taking on a big money drainer like football.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Mason and VCU both get a huge base of their students from commuters, so the total enrollment numbers are a bit misleading. Probably pretty analogous to Temple at the FBS level. Not sure how much student support either school would receive.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

arrogant, condascending fat dirtbag francesa had the hofstra prez on this afternoon to talk about the surprising announcement. the prez mentiioned the FACT that only 500 0f the team's ticket sales per game went to stidents -- at no charge! the remainining 3-4,000 fans at games were simply fans -- not nearly enough to keep the program afloat. now, i do not believe losing the jets played a major role in the decision but i'n sure it affected it somewhat. the jets rent must have been pretty steep, no? i don't know if ace reporter francesa ever connected the dots 'cause i didn't hear the enitre interview.

but i heard the early part, when the prez used the 500 tix per game to students stat was used. later in the showm when a caller phoned in to say that number was way off -- because the fat host insisted the prez said so -- he was quickly cut off by the francesa. later still, another call prompted one of francesa's profducer's to double-check with hofstra -- indeed, the numbers last season were 500 per game student body, avg. overall per game about 3,5000.

nice job listening to your interview subjects, fat man. greater job blowing off your listeners for hearing what you didn't.

ldspum

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Old Dominion is in the same boat as Mason and VCU -- probably a little more analagous to Mason in that there's a reasonable facsimile of a campus. They exceeded all expectations with ticket sales and fan interest. Which doesn't mean that you can simply drop VCU football into City Stadium as it stands now and expect miracles. And God only knows where you'd put the practice field (tear down Cary Street Gym and add a second field that isn't essentially green-painted concrete?)

I'll defer to Moddy on whether VCU has the athletic infrastructure to do it (it sounds like a big N-O). However, as an almost-alumnus, I'd like to see an ODU-VCU football game in my life.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oof.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Hofstra can't play football, BUT THEY DO OTHER STUFF GOOD!

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

"Did you upgrade the football program like I asked you to?"
    "No but I threw a rock at it."

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'm so glad someone got that. His albums from the 60s were absolutely grat. And I'd bet my house they'd still crack up people now who were hearing them for the first time.

10. Mystery Meat II

http://www.projo.com/uri/content/sp_fbc_uri04_12-04-09_TQGM770_v2.301504b.html

CAA will go drop divisions for 2010: 10-team league, eight-game schedule so everyone misses one conference foe. No word on what 2011 will look like with Old Dominion coming in to make it an 11-team league (unless Rhode Island drops).

Another possibility: the remaining North Division teams resurrect the Yankee Conference (or the A-10 starts sponsoring football again), and other Northeast teams join them.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Doug Flutie made BC a very popular school to go to.

The academic requirements to get in there now vs. before he played there are huge. There's a ton more dorm rooms on campus now too.

12. Mystery Meat II

Thing is, a lot of what football or big-time basketball can bring to the school is difficult to measure. George Mason I believe got a nice uptick in applications after their Final Four run, as did Villanova when they won their title. But it's pretty difficult to say that a program had $x million in yearly economic impact.

Georgia State playing in the Georgia Dome is going to be SAD. Even if they get a good crowd and they curtain off half the seats, it'll still look cavernously empty.

Draft saved Draft deleted