1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hofstra drops football program

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 3, 2009.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

You just described every women's basketball/volleyball/softball/track&field program in the country. Should they be dropped as well?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That only works if they couldn't fill those 40 spots otherwise. I could be wrong, but I thought colleges were having no problems filling spots these days.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

"The He-Man woman-haters club is in full bloom!!!!!!" [/whiners who took their ball and ran home]

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Elon doesn't draw flies, really. When App played there a couple weeks ago, there were 13,000 and change. All but 5,000, maybe 6,000 were wearing black and gold.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

He also described most men's soccer, track, wrestling, swimming, gymnastics and lacrosse programs.
    By the way, I know Hofstra is very good at lacrosse. Does it make any money with it?

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I was wondering when someone would toss out a Bill Cosby reference. Well done.

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Dropping football would kill a number of NAIA and D-III schools. A large number of those schools use football as an excuse to recruit 100 kids that wouldn't otherwise go there. In D-III, they all pay tuition (or use other types of scholarships). In NAIA, most pay tuition. At a school of 1,000, that's 10 percent of your students. Drop other sports and you lose as much as 50 percent.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think he meant getting to the Va. schools would be a two-flight trip for the north schools if a Va school was added to the North Division.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Speaking of Fordham, does anyone from SJNY.com think it's possible FU could be looking at ramping up football to the point where they could take a run at Big East membership?

Would Rutgers & St. John's allow it?

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Fordham's worried now about just getting up to 63 to play full-scholly FCS football. Not sure they're even close to being FBS ready.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Exactly. As I said, there's a certain assumed cost with athletics. If you think they're worthwhile, then pay it.

BTW, there are very, very few NCAA men's gymnastics programs anymore.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I don't get why it would kill them. St. Xavier U., located within walking distance of my house, was growing like crazy before it became a newfound NAIA football power. What a lot of these schools need to cultivate is not a football program, but students to someday become rich alums who give lots of money back to their puny endowments.

Draft saved Draft deleted