1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hofstra drops football program

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 3, 2009.

1. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I remember seeing a study about 10 years ago that statistically supported that having a football program increased overall admissions. Even a shitty, lower-level program that nobody went to watch. I wish I could find that study

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Contrary to my previous post, football doesn't cover its own cost — much less pay for other sports — at 95 percent of all institutions

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Northeastern and Hofstra? I guess Delaware needs to find two new patsies to beat up year after year.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

If Rhode Island drops, that'd be three from the North Division. I'm guessing they'd dump the divisional format in that case, right?

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

With every school that drops football, Old Dominion moves up the charts.

So with Northeastern and Hofstra gone, what will the CAA look like in a couple of years? Assuming they don't run out and grab Stony Brook and Fordham as a quick fix, as has been rumored:

NORTH: Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island (assuming they keep going), UMass, Delaware, Villanova
    SOUTH: Old Dominion, William and Mary, Richmond, James Madison, Towson, Georgia State

Delaware and Villanova like the South Division, but they may not have a lot of choice. If they do add Stony Brook and Fordham (or Albany or someone else up that way), then those schools would go in the North and Delaware and Villanova return to the South.

Would the CAA consider adding southern schools? They need to find some travel partners for UNC Wilmington and Georgia State -- maybe suck in Elon and Georgia Southern?

EDIT: If Rhode Island drops football, put Georgia State back in the North as was the original plan, perhaps.

6. JackReacher

I keep forgetting about GSU.

If they keep the divisions after all this, wouldn't it make sense to put Nova in the North and maybe keep a rivalry or two from the South, whatever the schedule allows?

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

What a looooooong fall from the days of "Hofstra beat us 900-0 ... in their street clothes."

8. Mystery Meat II

Everyone forgets about Georgia State, which is the problem. The CAA commish, I believe, even said that had they known they'd start football, they wouldn't have invited them. They're slated for the North now because I guess they're an airline hub, so it'd be easier for the Northeast schools to get there and vice versa, whereas they'd be a two-plane or long bus trip for the Virginia schools.

Of course, Georgia State is playing in the Georgia Dome and they have @Alabama on the first season's schedule, so they may be looking at going FBS in pretty short order anyhow.

Nova seems pretty insistent on being in the South, as does Delaware. Maybe that'll change with two (possibly three) of the weak sisters out. Or it could just be a New England vs. Mid-Atlantic thing, I dunno.

Dammit, BYH, wake up and log into SJ, we're waiting to make fun of your school!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Ga. State is a two-plane trip for VA schools? Hell, Atlanta is one place you can get to 100 times a day from Norfolk, Newport News, Richmond, Charlottesville, Lynchburg and Roanoke.

10. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

A lot of schools should drop football.

For a place like Hofstra, it's a money-gobbling black hole that doesn't serve as any sort of a recruiting magnet for regular students. There are so, so many schools that fall into this category.

The dirty little secret of American education is that most schools outside of BCS conferences should drop athletics entirely. They have almost nothing to do with an educational mission and add little to no value to the school.

11. Mystery Meat II

Ceded. I try to blot out plane trips to Atlanta as soon as I take them.

That said, their being a hub makes it easier for them to be in the North, as opposed to the Virginia schools (which wouldn't want to be broken up anyway). And if you followed the North/South thing letter perfect, you'd have to move Nova to the North, which they're resisting.

12. JackReacher

GSU in the North Division is dumb.

Draft saved Draft deleted