1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HoF - Derek Jeter vs. Andre Dawson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Feb 7, 2009.

?

If Jeter calls it quits after his contract expires in 2010 - is he a Hall of Fame player? If you say

1. Jeter HoF Yes - Dawson HoF No

13 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Dawson HoF Yes - Jeter HoF No

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  3. Jeter HoF Yes - Dawson HoF Yes

18 vote(s)
    46.2%
  4. Jeter HoF No - Dawson HoF No

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Mini Ditka

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Might not be the greatest fielding SS around, but 2500+ hits and the face of baseball's premier franchise for over a decade pretty much writes his ticket to Cooperstown.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Jeter is a rarity, someone who is a deserved first-ballot Hall-of-Famer who is also colossally overrated.

3. Buck - now who is cherry picking stats? I originally used OPS+ because that stat allows you to compare players from different times and different leagues. That to me seemed a fair way to compare players.

If you want to bow down before the alter of OBP - then I guess you'll be making the argument that Todd Helton and Brian Giles are more deserving of induction than Jeter since they are way ahead of him in terms of OBP.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree Raines is more deserving than Dawson, but both should be in.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

derek favre.

6. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Jeter doesn't get half the love that Favre gets.

7. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

I don't think buck is quite arguing that OBP is the measure by which we should just a player's HoF candidacy. I think he's really only saying that players, historically, didn't really think about their OBPs and don't consciously try to get on base more now because it's somehow more stylish now. Players tried to get on base, and were either good at it or they weren't, and the career OBP leaders list buck linked to bears that out. There are exactly three 'current' players in the top 20 - Bonds, Helton and Pujols.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I hate Jeter so much. I'll close my eyes when I walk past his plaque.

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Jeter is the only Yankee of the last 20 years that I can stand.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't mind a lot of Yankees. Posada and Rivera were real cool to me, and I respect a ton of the players. But I don't think Jeter is a good fielder, a good teammate or a great leader; a great leader doesn't throw teammate under the boss on and off the field like he's done with Rodriguez. He does what needs to be done, which is all you can really ask from a player.

Jeter's an excellent hitter, and he's use the short porch in right field better than most over the last couple decades. He wouldn't be the first player I'd take when building a team, but he's far from the last.

Bernie Williams, Paul O'Neill and Danny Tartabul always get the nod from me for being on Seinfeld. I cringe when I see Jeter's mug there. "Yeah, in six games." You tell them, Georgie.

11. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Ha!

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hey, buddah. It's a new year. Time to change the Log Log

Draft saved Draft deleted