1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HoF - Derek Jeter vs. Andre Dawson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Feb 7, 2009.

?

If Jeter calls it quits after his contract expires in 2010 - is he a Hall of Fame player? If you say

1. Jeter HoF Yes - Dawson HoF No

13 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Dawson HoF Yes - Jeter HoF No

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  3. Jeter HoF Yes - Dawson HoF Yes

18 vote(s)
    46.2%
  4. Jeter HoF No - Dawson HoF No

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Mini Ditka

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. shockey

shockey Active Member

i could make stronger cases for ex-yankees ron guidry, don mattingly and perhaps even graig nettles than i can for munson, may he rest in peace.

2. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

I wouldn't put this SS who should have been a second basemen in the hall of fame but I have very strict standards. The only players in the hall would be Cy Young, Bob Gibson, Babe Ruth, Manny Ramirez and Sandy Koufax. No more no less.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

::)

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Derek Jeter is the most overrated baseball player of our generation.

I've hated Andre Dawson ever since the late 1970s when Game of the Week panned into the dugout and he was sitting there smoking a cigarette.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No, he's really not.

Dude's a legit Hall of Famer.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yes he is the most overrated player of our generation, but he's still a first-vote lock.

signed, yankeehater

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

come on, buck. jeter is baseball's favre. that's pretty hard to deny.

8. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

World Series titles should have very little to do with anything, especially when your team is stocked with All-Stars.

Ernie Banks never won a Series and I'd take him over Jeter in a heartbeat.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Ernie Banks:

19 seasons, 9,421 ABs, 2,583 hits, 407 doubles, 512 home runs, 1,636 RBI, .274 batting average, .330 OBP

Derek Jeter:

14 seasons, 8,025 ABs, 2,535 hits, 411 doubles, 206 home runs, 1,002 RBI, .316 batting average, .387 OBP

So, in 1,400 less at bats than Ernie Banks, Jeter nearly has as many hits, more doubles, much better on-base percentage.

Obviously, Banks has better power numbers, but Jeter has quite a few RBIs for being a No. 2 or 1 hitter his entire career.

Oh, and that World Series MVP says a lot as does all of his top 10 MVP finishes.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ernie Banks played more games at first base than he did at shortstop.

And yes, World Series counts for something. It's not as if Jeter was invisible behind all those All-Stars -- dude's got 39 hits in 32 World Series games, including 10 for extra bases. That ranks up there with any of the greats.

You're letting your hatred get in the way of evaluating the player.

11. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I know it is not baseball related, but does this help Jeter

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/ny-spjeter0507,0,2091283.story

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yes, titles mean plenty. yes, i hate jeter. yes, his career will be good enough to get in the first time around. yes, i hate jeter ... just to make that clear.

Draft saved Draft deleted