1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HoF - Derek Jeter vs. Andre Dawson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Feb 7, 2009.

?

If Jeter calls it quits after his contract expires in 2010 - is he a Hall of Fame player? If you say

1. Jeter HoF Yes - Dawson HoF No

13 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Dawson HoF Yes - Jeter HoF No

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  3. Jeter HoF Yes - Dawson HoF Yes

18 vote(s)
    46.2%
  4. Jeter HoF No - Dawson HoF No

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Mini Ditka

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Dignan

Dignan Guest

400 HRs, 300 SBs:

1. Bonds.
    2. Mays.
    3. Dawson.

And the Hawk was a Gold Glove outfielder. It's criminal that he's not in the Hall.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

There's much, much more to this debate than numbers.

Jeter personifies a Yankees era.

To take it one step further, I don't think it would be entirely wrong to consider Thurman Munson for the Hall.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I believe that just may be one step too far.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Munson was considered a soundly rejected...as well he should have been.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I can see where one would be going on a Munson argument, but if Tenace and Bando aren't going in, then Munson shouldn't

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah, you all are probably right. But you can see the direction I'm going in the Jeter argument. He's an outstanding ballplayer ... AND he's "Mr. Yankee" of his generation.

And as much as I cringe as I say this, that's a lot different than being Mr. Royal or Mr. Pirate.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm not a Jeter fan on any level, but he is extremely good to deal with. People have said he comes across as disingenuous, but he knows the media game and he plays it well and most of those I know who have covered him on a regular basis all like him.

He's a HOF lock. Based on this year's vote, Dawson is going to get in within the next couple years as well.

8. micke77

micke77 Member

Jeter is a lock for the HOF. Period.
    And somebody mentioned about the class acts of DJ and Dawson. The few times I have interviewed them, I found them to be that way. Just came across as really good guys and, through the years, all I've read and heard about them and researched, that's the way they are.
    I would Dawson eventually gets in.

9. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I'm sure the Yankees will dish out the money needed to keep Jeter for a few more years after his contract is up. I can't see Jeter retiring anywhere else. He is, without a doubt, a HOF lock. That .300+ batting average is a plus and just the way he plays the game. He's always played great at SS. I don't see why this guy won't get in.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

He has never been a great shortstop, Kevin... average at best in his prime, below average now. That will not keep him from being a first-ballot lock.

11. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

That's true. I question if he'll play shortstop until he retires, though.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

He will becuase his massive ego will not allow him to move anywhere else. After all, the best shortstop on the Yankees is the guy now under steroid suspicion. If Jeter wouldn't move for A-Rod he won't move for anybody.

Draft saved Draft deleted