1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hockey writer, Naples (Fla.) Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Guybehindtheguy, Feb 6, 2007.

1. powerplay

powerplay Member

I heard some interviews already have taken place and the people on the blog are talking about bidding farewell to Andy in less than two weeks.

2. EdReed

EdReed Member

I told Andy I owe him lunch before the U-Haul pulls out on March 2. So yes, it seems they need someone to cover the final month of the regular season and the playoffs come April. My vote is for Mr. Hardwig, Naples' inaugural Blades beat writer nine years ago, to take over. If you're gonna have your paper's name appeat twice on the team's jersey, you should have your best guy covering it.

3. powerplay

powerplay Member

NHL GMs in Naples this week. Nice timing for this beat.

4. powerplay

powerplay Member

Not sure if it's that high, although the cost of living down there certainly warrants at least that much.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'd say high. Maybe $35k.

Also remember that the rink is a good 30 minutes away in Estero, which is about halfway between Fort Myers and Naples, maybe a bit closer to Fort Myers. Figure on lots of money for gas.

6. I'd guess it would be around 40 give or take a few thousand either way, depending on experience. However, to borrow from one of my post's earlier in the thread, you're not going to get rich. If you've got a wife/husband and a couple of kids, it could be tight if your spouse doesn't have a decent job. You'll get by. You just might not get ahead.

Oh, and whoever they hire would be wise to find a place in Bonita Springs or Estero. Andy lived about 5 minutes from the rink, which as he'd tell you, could be both a blessing and a curse.

7. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

My mother-in-law has a lovely place on Barefoot Beach available for sale if whoever gets this job is interested. Of course, you'd probably have to sell drugs and pimp your wife and kids, too, to afford it, but it's hella nice!

8. powerplay

powerplay Member

Anyone hear anything on this yet, since they presumably were trying to move fast with Andy's departure I think this week?

9. powerplay

powerplay Member

If I'm reading Andy's blog correctly, tonight is his last game. Wonder who on staff is getting thrown to the lions.

10. Just an FYI. They've done a couple of foners and have brought in at least one candidate who went to the game last night with Andy.

11. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

This isn't exactly like covering the Leafs for the Globe and Mail -- it's the frickin' ECHL!

12. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

And Jack has obviously not read the rest of the thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted