1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hockey writer, Naples (Fla.) Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Guybehindtheguy, Feb 6, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Red Sox/Twins. Both train in Fort Myers (40 minutes away) , but the NDN covers them daily.

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I love all these places that want people with podcasting experience when it's still relatively new. We haven't started doing it yet, though it's coming. Guess I'm out of the running for any of these new jobs automatically.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I did not see one line in that ad that said someone had to have prior podcasting experience. It mentions they do it; if they find the right candidate, surely they will work with that person to teach her/him the ropes.

4. Clever username

To be fair -- well, to be fair to me -- I said want, not require, but I see your point.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Agreed, I didn't see that line either.
    But I've always been curious when newspapers would start looking at podcasting/Web streaming/radio experience for their sites. Our paper has barely nicked the surface of putting audio online, although we're starting to do it more.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

And P.S., I'm not sure if I've gotten 300 posts on my Q and A and blog combined in the past 6 months.
    That's some pretty good interest.

7. WSKY

WSKY Member

You're right, I got a blog and 300 comments is a lot. 10-15 per blog to me is pretty good. 300 insane. But if it's the only show in town, then it probably does well.

8. Clever username

What's the circ? ABC doesn't have it.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Mid-50s, rising to about 70k during snowbird season peak, IIRC.

10. Clever username

Thank you.

11. EdReed

EdReed Member

I covered the Blades for 4 1/2 seasons. There is a group of hardcore fans and they are demanding of the team's beat writers, Andy especially. He built kind of a cult following with his Blades Blog and they were not always kind. If he doesn't post every couple of days, they start demanding where the hell is he. That includes holidays and when the team is on the road.
    One of the reasons I left the beat, besides having my weekends mostly free for my family, was because of some of the insane fans. They tend to forget this is the ECHL and not the NHL.
    You know what they say, you never want to be the guy to follow THE GUY. Well Andy is THE GUY when it comes to the Blades, and this is coming from his competition. Good luck to whoever gets the job following his act.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Ed knows of what he speaks.

Draft saved Draft deleted