1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hockey Weekend in America...is this on anyone's radar?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Feb 18, 2011.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Great idea to get kids involved early in the sport but for those of you down there, is anything happening in your community? Do people even know about it? Just curious.

http://www.usahockey.com/hwaa/default.aspx

The CBC sponsored "Hockey Day in Canada", with about 13 hours of coverage has been a huge hit up here.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Times mentioned it in an article about the growth of hockey -- as a participatory sport -- across the country.

Without that article, I would have had no idea.

Here's the article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/18/sports/hockey/18hockey.html?ref=sports

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I've heard them touting it on TV, but I have no idea what it is. They're showing some NHL game on NBC (Caps vs Buffalo wasn't what I saw them hyping, but that is being played at the same time) and then some pond hockey championship somewhere? I don't even know they played organized hockey on ponds. They sure as hell don't around here.

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Eagle River, Wis., hosted the sixth annual USA Hockey Pond Hockey Championships last weekend... and will be featured on before the Blackhawks-Penguins game on NBC. It featured 250 teams from 25 states playing 452 games on 24 rinks over three days.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That looks pretty freaking cool, but is there anything to keep the puck from going from one rink to the other?

It looks like stray pucks would constantly being interrupting games.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

You'd think that, but there is no point to be firing slapshots/wristshots when the goals look like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'll make sure to call for a moment of observation right before baseball practice starts.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I noticed the local NBC affiliate is playing the Red Wings game at noon on Sunday. I don't think they have had a Wings game on once this year. It seemed odd to me.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No checking or raising the puck in pond hockey aka shinny. Puck doesn't fly out of the rink very often.

I've been reading about the outdoor championship. We should field an SportsJournalists.com Team for next year.

Need a snappy team name though.

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I've been wanting to play in this for years but can't get anyone to commit to that weekend. They apparently love their wives too much.

Lame.

SJ Outing 2012?

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, I thought NBC showed a Wings/Bruins game last Sunday. Maybe it was Versus but it was those two teams

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If they have a Seniors Division in the tourney, I'm in. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted