1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hockey Unis (Is this acceptable to everyone?)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Diabeetus, Jun 30, 2007.

1. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

The trouble with Whalers' gear is it is extremely hard to get. The State of Connecticut owns the rights to the logo and other trademarks and they haven't given licence to do anything with it. And yes, the green uniforms with blue trim came as the Whalers entered the NHL. In the WHA, the New England Whalers wore green and yellow, much like the colour-scheme of the Minnesota North Stars.

And while those Islanders sweaters are prototypes, most of the NHL teams are at least tweaking their uniforms in some fashion this season.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I own a Colorado Rockies replica. Love it.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Maybe I'll get lucky when I visit.

4. maberger

maberger Member

Why doesn't Karmanos own the rights to the logo?

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Exactly.

There's a time and place for the arcane use that's frozen in time. Sometimes those are preserved in song, poetry or literature, as in the case you cite. Most people don't say "God rest ye merry" these days, either, but the song is around every December. The fact that the reference is part of a song doesn't keep it in popular use, unless you actually do deck your hall.

So when a hockey sweater was an actual sweater, it was OK to call it that. But when it's a modern jersey, it isn't a sweater any more. As a wise person said earlier, it's an affectation.

6. EE94

EE94 Guest

actually, they are referred to as sweaters - "When do we get our sweaters, etc." because back in the day, they were knitted from wool. Tis a winter sport that was originally played outdoors.
    So if you've played the game in any form, at least in Canada, it's a sweater.
    And you get changed in a dressing room, not a locker room.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Jesus, are we still arguing about this?

It's a SWEATER. Jesus, how many times do we have to say it?

It's not "arcane", it's not obsolete, it's what every Canadian who knows anything about hockey calls them.

Our friend Smasher likes bashing on hockey but doesn't have a clue about the sport.

8. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

A 31-year-old Canadian sports reporter here who has lived in five different cities throughout three different provinces and has covered seven different junior/major junior/pro hockey teams.

I've never heard ANYONE call them "sweaters."

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I wouldn't bash hockey if I didn't know it.

It's a sweater....because you say it is?

Then again, you're the guy who thinks the NHL needs a franchise in Collie Sperm, Sask.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

It's a jersey to this Canuck.

Oh yeah and under no circumstances, should it ever hit the dressing room floor.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I've always heard jersey as well. Maybe it's an age related thing. After all, JR is even older than spnited. :D

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

True enough. After all, sweaters were what the guys wore when he went to the Mutual St. Arena to see the Toronto St. Pats.

Draft saved Draft deleted