1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hockey Unis (Is this acceptable to everyone?)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Diabeetus, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I really like the look of hockey jerseys, but unfortunately don't know much about the sport. I want to get a Whalers jersey, but don't know if the navy or the green one is more authentic/classic/whatever. Any help?

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Re: Hockey jerseys

They wore green during their tenure in the WHA.

The navy was worn in the Whalers' years in the NHL.

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Actually, wasn't the green was worn during the NHL years as well? There have been clips in the News of Ron Francis in a green jersey. I think they changed the color scheme in 19-93.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Not to be a hockey snob, but first and foremost they are called hockey sweaters.

The Whalers wore green in both the NHL and the WHA and did not bring the navy blue in until the early to mid 90s. They should all be authentic, the more classic would be the green without any silver. In the later years - believe even before the blue - they added some siver trim if I'm not mistaken.

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Thanks for all the help. Anyone have links/images?

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

The Blue one form 1993, I believe
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/Hartford-Whalers-Vintage-CCM-Jersey-Sz-Lg-New-W-Tags_W0QQitemZ120136140999QQihZ002QQcategoryZ24540QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This would be an early 80s version

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Hartford-Whalers-Gordie-Howe-9-Hockey-Jersey-Size-L_W0QQitemZ280128849554QQihZ018QQcategoryZ780QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This would be a WHA version, although I have no idea why it would have Shanahan name plate on it as he didn't play for the team until the 90s

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Shanahan-No-94-Hartford-Whalers-Hockey-Jersey-sz-L_W0QQitemZ280128849532QQihZ018QQcategoryZ780QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Re: Hockey *sweaters (edited...thanks!)

Calling them sweaters is being a snob. They are jerseys, not sweaters.

sweater: 1. a knitted jacket in pullover or cardigan style, with or without sleeves.

8. Brooklyn Bridge

There is a website dedicated to NHL jerseys that includes every decade.....Problem is I can't think of it right now. I saw it a couple years ago and never needed it till now. It wasn't officially sanctioned, but it had the jerseys, home and away and any changes made year to year. I'll see if I can dig it up.

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Thanks again

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

They were called sweaters when they actually <i>were</i> sweaters.

Mesh is a jersey.

Using sweater for today's jersey is an affectation.

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Try this site nhluniforms.com it has everything you wanted to know about jerseys/sweaters.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I agree. It's a fucking jersey. Can't ever recall a guy getting "sweatered" in a fight.

Draft saved Draft deleted