1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hockey question - power play statistics

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by UPChip, Dec 12, 2010.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Two questions on power-play stats.

If a team scores three power play goals on six power plays, but two of the goals came on the same five-minute major, are they 2-for-6 or 3-for-6 on the PP?

Also, when a team takes penalties at, say, 6:00 and 6:30, does that count as one power play?

2. JR

JR Active Member

3 for 6.

Um, I would think it would count as two separate power plays. Penalized team is two men short and then one man short for the last thirty seconds--that's if the team on the pp doesn't score.

If the one team is two men short and the otherscores before the first pp expires, the first penalized guy comes out of th box, leaving the second penalized player in the box. If the other team scores before the secone penalty expires, it becomes two pp goals on two pp's.

Does that help? :)

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

So it's conceivable that a team could be 2-for-1 on the power play?

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

I've often wondered that, and I would think the answer is yes.

Unless the first goal actually creates a second power-play opportunity, but I don't think that would be the case.

5. crimsonace

crimsonace Active Member

On major/match penalties that get served and the ensuing PP ...

Each goal essentially starts a new power play, so the stats on a major would be
    X for X+1

(e.g., a goal is scored at 1:26 of the major, and another at 3:42. The team would be 2-for-3). The only exception would be if a goal were scored right as the penalty was ending.

Don't have a source, but that's how it's been explained to me by hockey statisticians.

6. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

The NHL's scoring system tracks penalties, and goals scored in those situations, by the time accumulated under the manpower advantage. It's broken down into 5-on-4, 5-on-3, 4-on-4 and 4-on-3. Your first scenario would be rare, if for no other reason than the fact that majors are generally handed out for fighting and it takes two to tango. JR is correct about your second scenario - it's :30 of 5-on-4, 1:30 of 5-on-3, then another :30 of 5-on-4. Two overlapping power plays.

7. toivo99

toivo99 Member

Crimsonace is right on the money.

Two goals on a 5-minute major is 2-for-3, three goals is 3-for-4, etc.

Each penalty starts a new power-play opportunity. Team A takes a penalty at 1:00 then at 1:15, they are two separate power plays. If team B then takes a penalty at 2:00, the FIRST power-play ends, and the second one begins. At 3:15, Team B then has their power play.

The only exception I believe is, a double-minor, which is just one 4-minute power play.

And Lisa Simpson, you haven't seen much college hockey have you? They give out 5-minute majors for breathing on someone's back nowadays. There's usually about one a game.

8. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Actually, a double minor is two power plays. Score a goal on the first one, and the second one starts immediately.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Section 8 of the NCAA statisticians' manual.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_Manuals/IceHockey/2011EZ.pdf

10. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

I work with NHL officials, so no - college hockey is not particularly prevalent here in the Southeast. I honestly can't remember the last time I personally saw only one player get tagged with a major penalty on a given play. It just generally isn't done at the NHL level. Chip's question didn't specify whether he was asking about NCAA vs. NHL scoring protocols; in reading the NCAA scoring manual, it looks like the NHL's scoring system handles the issue a little bit differently.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The NHL mainly gives them out for hightsticks and hitting from behind, I wouldn't exactly call them rare

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Unless you score after the first two minutes have expired.

Draft saved Draft deleted