1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hockey Poll: New Year's Day Winter Classic at Fenway: the Flyers vs the Bruins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Dec 31, 2009.

?

Will you be watching?

1. Yup

34 vote(s)
    61.8%
  2. Nope

5 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. May flip back and forth between this and football

12 vote(s)
    21.8%
  4. Don't care, it's hockey

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Caps vs Rangers in Washington.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

This is the thing to remember about a venue for the game, they need at least a two week window prior to the game date to set up, three is ideal, so this causes issues for NFL stadiums, considering there aren't too many cold weather bowl games, the college stadiums may actually be an option.

For actually watching the game, football stadiums are the way to go -- the site lines at the baseball stadiums look horrible with the fans miles away from the actual ice. Baseball stadiums, particularly the kitchy ones like Wrigley and Fenway are probably better for TV just because of the uniqueness.
    RFK may actually work, because I don't think the NHL is overly concerned with the quality of the venue (They keep talking about bringing a second game to Canada every year and considering the quality of most outdoor CFL venues, this can't be a huge issue) so long as the seats are there and the building can still safely be used.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Re: Hockey Poll: New Year's Day Winter Classic at Fenway: the Flyers vs the Brui

Wild vs. Stars at the new Gophers football stadium, paired with Gophers vs. Badgers.

Oh, hell, yes.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

That would be great. I think the league needs to start pairing the game up with a college game or major junior game to keep it fresh. Make it a full day event instead of three hours of pageantry.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

NHL Network will broadcast Friday's college doubleheader at Fenway.

6. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

BU-BC is playing Friday night at Fenway......that sold out in no time. I'd rather be at that game than the B's game.

7. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Future Winter Classic ideas:

Aforementioned U. of Minnesota stadium or JerryWorld to host Wild-Stars.
    Las Vegas Strip/Caesars to host Kings-Oilers.
    The new Meadowlands to host Devils-Capitals.
    Yankee Stadium (eventually) to host Rangers-Canadiens.
    Invesco Field to host Avalanche-Flames.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Re: Hockey Poll: New Year's Day Winter Classic at Fenway: the Flyers vs the Brui

NBC will never agree to having a Canadian team in the game.

It'd be the kiss of ratings death.

If the Leafs didn't suck so bad, you might be able to make an argument for them say, against the Rangers however..

Problem is, at some point, they'll run out of major US market teams. I doubt a Minnesota/Columbus game would get very good ratings but I may be wrong.

9. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

Though the ratings were down, this thing no doubt has legs. So much legs now that maybe if it weren't on New Year's Day, people would plan their evening around it being on. Say like a Saturday or Sunday night in January?

Maybe that will be something the NHL will look into. I can't help but think Penn State playing at the same time killed half of the audience, if not more, in the Philly market.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think the ratings are as high as they are (even if they dipped a bit) because the game's appointment TV. I doubt very much that slotting this game on a Saturday or Sunday night in January would get anywhere near the New Year's Day ratings.

I think the reasoning behind the day is pretty solid. I You have this huge potential sports audience sitting at home on their asses doing nothing. Even if you get 5% of them, it's probably more than you'd ever get any other day of the year.

Draft saved Draft deleted