1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hockey Poll: New Year's Day Winter Classic at Fenway: the Flyers vs the Bruins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Dec 31, 2009.

?

Will you be watching?

1. Yup

34 vote(s)
    61.8%
  2. Nope

5 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. May flip back and forth between this and football

12 vote(s)
    21.8%
  4. Don't care, it's hockey

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

yeah .. he' not.

2. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

winter

I think Boston and Philly are building a decent rivalry as sports towns, but I am surprised this wasn't Bruins-Canadiens.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Cycling, thanks for the laugh. I don't take it as an insult, but you should hear what I think of his latest book. ;D

Thanks for the backup, HC. As for you not having a social life, we'll get you out to Super Burger more often. :)

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's been talked about. The only sport dismissed out of hand for the Death Star is baseball. That's because the Ballpark is next door and politically, it wasn't doable.

However, Jerry World won't work for what the NHL is going for -- a truly cold-weather outdoor environment, preferably with an Original Six team involved. To get that you'd have to go to the old Cotton Bowl stadium, which isn't getting much use in January anymore. The city of Dallas would love it.

But then again, weather in Dallas on any given winter day is a complete roll of the dice. It could be in the 20s and snowing, or it could be in the 80s with high humidity. Or somewhere in between, but the climate is too unreliable for outdoor hockey. Anything above 65 degrees can make the ice bad, and throw in Dallas humidity, and you get fog on the surface.

I could see the Stars trying a separate promotion and playing in Arlington eventually, but that would require the team to get good again and sell tickets.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Man do those 1980 Olympic scenes get me emotional.

What a time, what a team, what an upset.

6. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Re: Hockey Poll: New Year's Day Winter Classic at Fenway: the Flyers vs the Brui

great game. NBC should consider starting it a little later....I love when they're playing under the lights.

The B2 bomber is friggin huge!!!!! That thing flew right over my house.....man, what a sight. Pretty cool seeing it on tv 5 seconds later too.

7. That was a tremendous hockey game. The last couple years the winter classic has kind of been my kickoff to paying attention to the hockey season and what a way to kick it off

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That was a lot of fun to watch. Flyers got hosed in OT by not getting a too many men on the ice penalty.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Re: Hockey Poll: New Year's Day Winter Classic at Fenway: the Flyers vs the Brui

As HC pointed out, what was really cool was seeing the players' shadows on the ice. It was also fun flipping back and forth from CBC to NBC.

Nice touch announcing the USA hockey team but Burke might as well hand out the participation medals now. :)

10. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

yeah...certainly not the strongest US squad we've had.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

If Ryan Miller stands on his head, anything is possible. That's the only hope we've got.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The team to be scared of is the Russians.

Draft saved Draft deleted