1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hockey Poll: New Year's Day Winter Classic at Fenway: the Flyers vs the Bruins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Dec 31, 2009.

?

Will you be watching?

1. Yup

34 vote(s)
    61.8%
  2. Nope

5 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. May flip back and forth between this and football

12 vote(s)
    21.8%
  4. Don't care, it's hockey

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Just curious about this since the last two have captured some eyeballs that wouldn't normally watch hockey.

This is a signature event for NBC--hell, they even drag out Bob Costas to give it the appropriate gravitas.

So, who'll be watching?

I'm betting the over/under on someone mentioning about how this event "takes the game back to its roots" at 45 seconds.

At least up here we have the advantage of flipping between CBC (no McGuire AND we get Elliotte ) and NBC

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Definitely will be watching. Will choose this over whatever college football bowl game is on year after year.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I just hope the rain holds off. That's supposedly the forecast for tomorrow afternoon

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Considering we were supposed to get a coating to an inch of snow all day and there is already a good 2-3" on the ground, I would say the hockey game is fine. Beantown is just north of where I am,

Oh, and I will watch at least some of the game.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

No way. Didn't even watch when my home team played in it last year. I will not watch hockey on New Year's Day. What a joke. They need to do an outdoor game on Thanksgiving Day. When there are less big games on.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'll watch some of it, it makes for great TV - even if it's not great hockey - if the snow is flying.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I will have an eye on Bowden's last game and Penn State-LSU, but my main focus will be Fenway Park, for sure.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

They selling seats atop the Green Monster?

9. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

For months, I made plans to be at this game no matter what (I live in Connecticut and have been to Fenway just about every one of my 33 years.)

When tickets began to climb to $400 and more, I decided to buy a six-pack of High Life and watch it in the comfort of my home.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

First up, what "big games" are on New Year's Day other than the Rose and Sugar Bowls, both of which are after the hockey has ended?

And second, damn straight I'll be watching, as I have every year.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Rumors of next year at Yankee Stadium ... Rangers vs. Capitals

12. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

The only hockey game I watch from start to finish every year. Throw in the Fenway Park angle and I'm definitely tuning in again.

The portable digital TV's being charged right now so I can watch the game while taking down outdoor Christmas decorations tomorrow.

Draft saved Draft deleted