1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hockey player kicked off team for refusing to sign flag

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Kritter47, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

His explanation to not sign it is very suspect, but the coach's hypocrisy is the standout thing in this story.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2006/12/18/nb-hockeyflag.html

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

And I thought that this thread was about some kid who didn't want to sign the American flag.

I was wrong. I'm such a hoser, eh?

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I hate forced patriotism. I hated when seemingly every team was somehow not patriotic if it didn't have a U.S. flag on its jersey.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Idiot coach wanted to cut the kid and used this episode as "the last straw". Moron

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Beaulieu said he believes in freedom of expression but added that any player who refused to sign would have been kicked off the team.

"It wouldn't matter who it would have been. It could have been one of our best players, our first round pick."

Yeah. Like that would have happened. ::)

The coach is a disingenuous bastard. Hey, coach, if you want to cut the kid, just cut him and lose the pansy-ass excuses. Suckhead.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Isn't writing all over a flag desecration of that flag?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Wouldn't true patriotism be defending the player's right NOT to sign the flag?

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

What went unreported was that the player had offered a compromise -- he would sign a Tim Horton's box instead.

9. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Depends on the country. It's taboo in the U.S., but not in a lot of countries. At an English national team soccer game, you'll see dozens of flags with messages scrawled all over them (such as the one at the World Cup in June that said, "Claire, don't give birth yet").

10. Flash

Flash Guest

"Morally, we have standards with this hockey team and that's a standard that we believe in," Beaulieu told CBC News Monday.

"I mean, if Dave doesn't believe in it, that's fine. But he won't be part of it. He won't be part of this organization. That's the standard that we set."

Man, that's just scary. Why do sports have to be about more than sports?

11. Morally?
    This is one dumbass coach.

12. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Since it's the Canadian flag, no.

;)

Draft saved Draft deleted