1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hockey fans everywhere -- help get "Beer League" on the air!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...ageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&t=TS_Home

Grant Nolin says he was tired of Hollywood films about hockey.

He was tired of actors who can't skate, and bonehead plays like the flying V from the Mighty Ducks. He was tired of seeing clean language in dressing-room scenes, chimps holding hockey sticks and American directors not doing justice to the Canadian game.

So Nolin, director of a Calgary film production company, wrote a sitcom about a men's rec team and called it Beer League. After discovering that hockey shows are anything but an easy sell to Canadian networks, he decided to sell it online.

He made a trailer — for a show that doesn't even exist yet —and distributed it on the web. Now, he says, over 100,000 people have signed an Internet petition to get Beer League on the air and a million people have seen the trailer (at http://www.zoomcom.ca/beerleague/).

"If you like it, sign it and tell us what you think of it," says Nolin in his on-screen introduction. "If you don't like it, and shows about swearing and farting aren't your bag, we suggest you go rent the extended version of The English Patient, 'cause you're probably not our viewer."

2. KP

KP Active Member

Did Elaine Benes like it?

3. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

I watched "The Tournament" some when it was on the OLN after NHL games. It was pretty funny. It was almost like watching a Christopher Guest movie except it was a tv show about hockey parents.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The Tournament was great. I was really pissed when CBC cancelled it.

I saw that article Double J posted. It sounds like it could be a fun TV series.

My only suggestion would be to get the Ralph triplets involved, three brothers who I played pick up hockey with every week for about 15 years. The guys were psychos and there was never a Monday night that someone wouldn't get in a fight with one of them.

And then the other two would jump in to protect their brother. And mayhem would ensue. :)

In all the years I played with those guys I could only tell them apart by the colour of their helmets.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Sounds kinda like the Neil brothers of Flesherton in their primes. :)

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Weird thing was, they were straight as arrows off the ice.

One was an accountant, one worked for the Ontario government and one was in insurance or something.

They didn't say much on the ice but those little fuckers'd hack and slash you every time you had the puck. Even my normally pacifist brother in law took one of them on one night.

I think we kicked two of them out of our Monday night games at least three times but a couple of weeks later they'd show up, apologize and be good for maybe one week. Then the shit would start all over again.

Good times.

Draft saved Draft deleted