1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hockey dads at their finest......

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

speaking of coaches.....I'm coaching a Bantam team this year, tonights the Father/son Holiday party. So, the other day my assistant coach asks me what gifts we should buy the kids? Apparently the coaches buy each player something for Christmas?? Well, fuck no. I figure the 6 hours a week I'm volunteering is a good enough gift.

Has anyone else ever heard of the coaches buying players gifts for the Holidays?

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Never heard of it. Never.

If there's any gift-giving, it should be from the kids to the coaches.

And aren't mothers allowed to come to your party, Ashy? :)

3. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

ok good...because no one on my beer league team ever heard of that either.

And yes, it's actually the Parents/sons game....and I know of at least 1 mom who will be playing.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Oh, its a game. That's fun.

I remember playing in a father/son game in his second year of AA Bantam (back then Bantam was 14/15 year olds).

Kids were sure faster on the ice than they looked up in the stands. :)

5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Ashy, make sure the parents have helmets, at the very least. We had one dad who didn't know how to skate play in this type of game and take some very hard falls. That he didn't smash his mellon was a miracle.

6. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

shit, that's true.....although there's a few folks I wouldn't mind seeing taking a fall, it might knock some sense into them.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Speaking of, I've got my alumni game over the holidays.

That seems like more of a chance to really embarrass yourself every year.

8. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

When I was about 12 or so, we had a practice where only one of our goalies showed up. A dad laced up his skates and came out to play goalie with no pads -- just gloves and a stick. Coach seemed to have no problem with it. You know where this is going.

All of us were just taking easy shots along the ice because we didn't want to kill the guy. Finally, someone ripped one in high and blasted him in the forehead. He bled all over the place and got a number of stitches.

The player who took the shot?

His son, naturally.

Draft saved Draft deleted