1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hockey dads at their finest......

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Dec 7, 2009.

1. It's not just hockey. Any sport that allows physical contact between opponents during the normal course of play is the same. Parents freak when their son/daughter gets touched, although when their own kid does it, "hey, it's part of the game, they're just being aggressive, just let 'em play!"

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if physical contact isthe driving force behind parents' behaviour..

Some of the most batshit crazy parents I've encountered are those with kids playing Tball.

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

We have drunk parents at our football games. My favorite is "Team Bumblefucks coaches Suck!" when there is complete silence. or when they yell to run outside/inside, play defense, whatever. Dude, we have a plan and maybe, just maybe its your kid screwing up and we're not able to do what we need to do.

4. Awesome. If I was still reffing (and reffing 9-year-olds), I'd be impressed.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Did he also tell the ref he was listening to the fucking song?? ;D

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Ha, that kid was the closest thing my kid's baseball team had to the legendary Tanner Boyle!

BTW, was watching Slap Shot on the bus the other day JJ.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Tanner Boyle rules.

So does Slap Shot. I know that'll come as a surprise to many of you that I think that. :D

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It does. I thought you were a fan of the early Jean-Luc Godard oeuvre.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Is he related to Eric Godard?

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

There's a certain resemblance
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And in the ongoing series in the Toronto Star on minor hockey, here's a good story on what's the real problem in lots of cases: the coaches.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/article/737554--when-hot-head-minor-hockey-coaches-cross-the-line

Here's a guy you want coaching your kids:

Since 2001, the 52-year-old father of three has amassed 19 game suspensions and seven major penalties for disputing officials' calls – six of them including verbal abuse of the official

And the guys' response to his unprecedented behavour?

"I think out of all the times I've been thrown out, it was for the same thing, which is for these referees who think they're bigger than the game. My way of getting back at them is to tell somebody where to go...

Spoken like a true fifteen year old. This guy should be thrown out permanently.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

As sad as it may seem, there are probably plenty of parents of kid's on his team who nod their heads and think he does the right thing by ripping the ref.

Draft saved Draft deleted