1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HOCKEY "CLUB" VS. HOCKEY TEAM COVERAGE

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BNWriter, Jul 14, 2006.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

A University in our town has had a hockey "club" for years, which has had to play its "home" games out of town. But now, there is a downtown rink, but I am fairly certain the local paper will either:
    A. Send stringers to the opening game because it is brand new and then ignore the rest of the season;

and/or

B. Not bother with it at all.

Would hate to see visiting teams not get covered somewhere (and my not earn $$$$ in the process).

Any publications/websites out there that pay for that sort of thing?

Let me know.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Try the newspapers in the other team's town.
    But candidly, "club" sports aren't going to get covered -- graf or two at best. Varsity, Division I sport is a far different matter.

3. ogre

ogre Member

The club team at Purdue was in the same situation when I was working at the student paper (way back when). No rink. No love. The student daily didnt even cover the team. In fact, my first article was a season review or something like that, which tellls you how much coverage the club team gets.

Wouldnt hurt to try to change that though.

Draft saved Draft deleted