1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hockey Bench Clearing Brawl, British Style

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Dec 9, 2010.

1. JR

JR Active Member

Bench clearing brawls were outlawed in the NHL years ago but here's one from a game in the British Elite Hockey League. Canadians, of course, were involved.

Best part is the announcers with what could be a memorable line "Danny Myers should get beaten to hell for that now"

And love the way the pbp guy tells the camera guy where to shoot

Grapes would be impressed.
  2. Eh, I didn't think it was too special. The background commentary was better.
  3. JR

JR Active Member

Didn't I mention the announcers? And when was the last time you saw a bench-clearing brawl?
  4. They did a lot of prancing.
  5. JR

JR Active Member

Not to mention dancin'

6. The Red Wings and Avalanche scoff at this fight
  7. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

So does the Flyers and the Sens. Nothing to special in this brawl. It was entertaining when I first saw it, but the second and third time it stars to get old. Unlike the famous brawl between the Sens and the Flyers...or the Avs and Red Wings.
  8. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

"Bloody hell, we're applying pliable metal sheeting to our knuckles, wot?"
  9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Well today I learned that pro hockey is played in Britain. Who knew? What's next, pro cricket in Alabama? Fucking globalization.
  10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Fantastic. ;D
  11. JR

JR Active Member

You know they play baseball in Japan, right? :)

I'm assuming the game was introduced to the Brits during WW1 but I haven't actually researched it.

GB won the bronze medal in the 1924 Olympics.
  12. Double J

Double J Active Member

And gold in 1936, although the team was mainly expatriate Canadians.

Britain actually won the first European championship in 1910, so the game was being played there - and played well - prior to the war. Hard to say why the Brits haven't been a force in international competition for several decades now.
Draft saved Draft deleted