1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hobbies?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 85bears, Jun 27, 2006.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I have a pretty decent sports card and memorabilia collection, but haven't been able to put any money into it in quite some time. In fact, it's mostly sitting in boxes in the unfinished basement, waiting for a place to call home. :-\

I don't watch TV much at all, and can count on one hand the number of movies I've seen in the past 10 years. I do like to pop a few favorites into the DVD player or VCR from time to time: High Plains Drifter, Fast Times (when the kids aren't around - otherwise, there's too much explaining to do), Bad Boys (the Sean Penn-Esai Morales flick - not that piece of shit rap-fest), Fletch and occasionally Airplaine! And I'll always stop when UFC is on TV.

I read a lot of older wrestling stuff - can't stand the new crap. Mick Foley, Dynamite Kid and Harley Race's books were awesome. Disappointed in Arn Anderson's, Ric Flair's and Steve Austin's. Dave Meltzer's Wrestling Observer Newsletters rarely get old, and his Tributes books are must-haves.

Other than that, about the only thing I can still afford to do (seeing how civilization is 3 1/2 hours away at least), is listen to iTunes and sing Classic Rock at the top of my lungs. ::)

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Oceano dunes were nearby, as I'm sure you know, but we didn't go.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It sounds flowery, but if you've got a girlfriend, you can score points by taking her to the butterfly farm in Pismo Beach.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We drove by the butterfly grove.
    She knows that area really well, so she's been to the butterfly grove before.
    It was my first time there, so she suggested the activities, including the kayaking.

5. Songbird

Did you do any driving down the coast and stop in Netherlands-esque Santa Ynez or anything like that? If you visit again, do the "State Street Crawl" in Santa Barbara.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I don't collect cards but I collect programs and I have a pretty decent collection of junior hockey memorabilia...

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We didn't go down to Santa Barbara. We just stayed in and around Pismo.
    It was really nice. I want to go back a few more times this summer.

8. Songbird

When I worked there, the women's pro volleyball circuit had an event at Pismo Beach. San Luis Obispo is a great day trip, too.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

does anyone else find it weird that about 80 percent of posters here listed drinking beer as a hobby?

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

You could call it an internship -- a vocation you don't actually get paid for, that is, apparently, unless you work for Esquire. :D

11. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted