1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HOA President goes ape#$%$ on reporter -- audio posted of rant

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Jan 14, 2013.

1. printit

printit Member

This kind of crap is common. Years ago you could make the argument made above that if you didn't like the Homeowners Association, don't buy in the neighborhood. Now, in many parts of the country, almost every nice neighborhood has one. There is no real opt out ability anymore. And the people who run these things tend to be little dictators.
    If you live in a neighborhood that tries to start one of these, FIGHT IT. Do not let them start one. Who needs one more boss to answer to?

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm sure he called them "my residents" in some sort of chutzpah realization that the minute this story got in the paper with his idiocy in it, that the ability for any one of his "subjects" to sell their homes went in the dumper.

The minute someone does an internet search for that subdivision is the minute acute buyer beware kicks in.

But at least those people give a damn more than non-HOA homeowners!

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If you live in an HOA, more chances than not you live close to other homes. You can see other properties from your front door, and they can see you.

People might bitch about a sidewalk or a fence, but your HOA is also protecting you from someone painting their house pink, raising roosters in their backyard, running a daycare, starting a methadone clinic, piling garbage around their house and so on.

HOAs basically try to protect your property value by keeping the neighborhood the way it was when you moved in.

Sure, some are nuts, but most do a very good job.

4. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I agree. I've lived in both, and in all honesty the HOA neighborhood I lived in was probably the worst neighborhood I've lived in terms of upkeep and people "giving a damn." In fact, all the neighborhoods I've lived in without an HOA were heads and shoulders above that one. The non-HOA neighborhood I live in now is the most kept up neighborhood I've ever been in. My parents non-HOA neighborhood in which they've lived for nearly 40 years has seen very little deterioration.

The HOA I lived in was a joke. The community areas were not kept up. We had graffiti issues at the park and pool that took years to address. It got hit hard by foreclosures, so the property management company just started harassing the people living within the rules to try and get extra money. The board also let the property management company rule it even though it disagreed with most of the company's decisions. It really wasn't a pleasant experience, even for someone who read the rules and followed them. It would take a lot for me to live in one again.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Yes. That shit happens all of the time. I don't have enough fingers to count how many times one of my non-HOA neighbors tried to paint their house pink or raise barnyard animals. (But I do rather enjoy the methadone clinic.)

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

What I don't get about an HOA is this. You buy a house, and you pay taxes to your community for its general upkeep, parks, etc, with whatever zoning rules your locale has. In an HOA, you still pay the taxes and are under the rule of some political entity, but you also are now paying taxes (assessments) and getting another layer of government (HOA board). What's the point? On the off chance your neighbor paints a house pink?

Of course, when you look at the history of HOAs, they do very well for the developer, so that might explain why there are so many of them. Also, I'm sure the locale appreciates not have to bother to maintain parks or roads or anything in the HOA.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What's wrong with running a daycare?

8. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I remember my family being given 24 hours to move our Winnebago so that it wasn't sticking out past the side of our house.

It was six inches past the house.

My dad got in the Winnie in front of the HOA president and backed it up six inches. Order was restored that day and the neighborhood could once again breathe easy.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You might not be living on street that is not maintained by state or county. That is a lot of money.

In my HOA, we have 900 homes, a clubhouse, a Manor House, two pools, four enclosed play areas for children, an Octoberfest, a St. Patrick's Day event, Easter stuff, wine tastings, workout rooms, tennis courts, and a handful of other things.

It's worth the money.

10. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

It sounds like your neighborhood is a giant daycare center.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Devil, if you don't have a key party it isn't worth it.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

93Devil can't possibly be a journalist and afford to live in that Shangri-La.

Draft saved Draft deleted