1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hmmm. Even worse than newspapers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

9,000 MORE layoffs?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/18/AR2008041800697.html?hpid=topnews

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I hope the Wilpons cashed that check.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Jeffy: "But daddy I swear I was going to cash it today! It's in my glove compartment!"

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

A business that does business by paying its customers 3% interest and charging them 6%-20% should never lose money.

Unless it has some really stupid and/or greedy people.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Nice to see Bob Jelenic and Dean Singleton have company in the scumbag category. That and mismanaging cash cows.

6. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Wah, wah, wah. It's not like those people are working in the coal mines. There are starving people in Africa, I'm sure they'd love to work at Citigroup.

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Morgan Stanley just laid off 4,000 workers.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I think the demise of the American economy is teaching us that there are some really stupid and/or greedy people running once-thriving companies.

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

And the stock market is up on the news that Citi only lost 5.1 Billion.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

We naturally obsess about newspaper cutbacks, but it's everywhere and touching everybody. Bad economy, and an absolute ruthlessness when trying to fix the bottom line.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Problem is, even in a good economy, companies were slashing jobs or sending them overseas. The only jobs left are in the service industry. I don't mind companies making a profit, but when jobs are lost, people don't have money to fuel the economy. Instead, you get these companies taking their Bush tax cuts and putting it in their execs' pocket (CEO compensation is 300 percent the average worker today compared to 40 percent 30 years ago.)

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

We've all had experiences, I'm sure, where banks have treated us poorly, so yes, it's hard to feel sympathetic when they're in dire straits. But it's relevent to point out that Citi is a pretty diverse group of companies, and not all of the jobs are cushy or well-paid.

Draft saved Draft deleted