1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hitchens sets Huck, MSM Enablers on Blast

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jgmacg, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Poverty has many causes. Sometimes, the poor are to blame. Sometimes, the rich are to blame. Often, it's a combination of both. On those occasions when people are poor because the rich are either partially or fully to blame, the truth should be told.

2. Proof positive that somebody wasn't seriously paying attention. For its entire life, but especially since its readoption in the 1950's, the Confederate battle flag is a symbol of white-supremacist government. No more. No less.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

So is Huckabee's pandering to good ole boys in the south the same or different than Hillary Clinton pandering to and getting endorsements from people like Calvin Butts?

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

In Alabama, both MLK and Lee are officially recognized by the same holiday. And I guarantee you that 99% of folks had no idea that Lee was part of the mix on Monday.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

A swastika has had meanings beyong just nazism. It's just that, well you know what the universal understanding of that symbol is now. Same goes for that flag as far as I'm concerned.

6. zagoshe

No, I don't know anyone who raises the swastika as a symbol of pride in german heritage. I know plenty of southerners to whom the confederate flag is just a symbol of their southern heritage -- starting with Lynard Skynard! -- the two are not comparable.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I contemplated the comparison before I pressed "post." I'm not saying they mirror each other, but I don't think they're too far apart either.

And even if some people take the flag to mean something different, a majority of the people don't, and those who still wave it are well aware of how it's perceived.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The Confederate Flag that is in use today is, as numerous people have pointed out, a 20th century invention that symbolizes opposition to the Civil Rights movement.

It is not in any way "historical" and does not represent "southern heritage."

9. zagoshe

In its most literal historical context no, it doesn't -- to many southerners, yet it does and it has nothing to do with racism.

10. It has no meaning beyond the 20th century defense of white supremacy.
    Why do you think they don't wave the stars and bars, which was the actual national flag?

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The national flag of the confederacy

[​IMG]

Not the confederate flag you tend to see on the back of pick-up trucks.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Defended his southern heritage against Medgar Evers.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.