1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hitchens sets Huck, MSM Enablers on Blast

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jgmacg, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Some choose not to like it, and in fact find it abhorrent that he's celebrated today. And it's disingenuous to celebrate it the same day we celebrate MLK. It's shameful more than anything else, and is one reason why southern states are labeled as hillbilly and inferior. And you can caveat your statements all you like, but it doesn't make the reverent tones given Lee any more excusable. Ultimately, the only good thing Lee ever gave us was his estate.... so we could have Arlington National Cemetary.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

So you'd be cool with it, if your state didn't celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day and dropped it to whoop it up for Robert E. Lee day instead?
    That's exactly what Alabama, Mississippi and Arkansas do.
    In a state that celebrates Lee Day, it isn't a great surprise that a former governor is a fan of the Stars and Bars.
    Treason is generally defined as the loser, but not in Lee's case.
    He's somehow remembered as being a hero for invading Pennsylvania. Oddly enough it was a middle-aged Joe Paterno who fought him off.
    Thanks JoePa.

Edit: It might be both, but Bat is probably right.

3. Flying Headbutt

Of course, going to Pa was the only way Lee would get to go at it with Paterno, who is otherwise too chickenshit to go south of Gettysburg along Route 15.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I don't give a shit about Robert E. Lee Day, Headbutt. I didn't know it was yesterday until someone mentioned it. I was talking about the man, not some holiday.

5. Flying Headbutt

My apologies for implying you somehow were ok with him. You clearly did not say as much. Everything else I said about the man still stands though.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I award these two posts the Congressional Medal of Humor.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Ain't no whatever. He raised an army and fought in arms against the lawfully constituted government of his country. Man was a traitor.
    This is a forgiving land, though.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Didn't Andrew Johnson pardon all the confederate officers? I thought that was a big reason why he was impeached.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The guy who wrote this article is an idiot and frankly, he's the kind of elitist know-it-all dickhead that people from states like South Carolina would tell to shove a flag pole up his ass.

Huckabee is not a racist and the reason the media is ignoring his remarks is because his presidential bid is on life support and he is becoming more and more irelevant every single day. Did this jackass ever consider that?

And is what Lee did any different than what George Washington did?

Or is it "just different" because we've determined the British were evil while the United States government was not?

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

That was all a part of Johnson's efforts to blunt reconstruction. The Radical Republicans passed a law that made sure General Grant had to sign off on all decisions pertaining to the removal of army officers who were running military reconstruction, as a safeguard against Johnson's aims to remove those intent on reconstruction. Although the law was ambivalent, Johnson met his end when he canned Lincoln's Secretary of War Stanton.

That's a quick, quick take of Eric Foner's summation in his work "Reconstruction."

12. Flying Headbutt

Zag, with what the confederate flag means today, and considering WHEN South Carolina decided to fly it, isn't it fair to assume that anyone who offers up explicit support for the flag is, in effect, condoning racism?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.