1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hitchens sets Huck, MSM Enablers on Blast

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jgmacg, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

The guy can be an a-hole, but he nailed this one.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Interesting take
    Huck's home state just celebrated Robert E. Lee Day, an official state holiday, and the Little Rock paper wrote its annual tribute to Lee for being a great American.
    Other than being a traitor and responsible for more American deaths than Al-Qaida, I guess they had it right.
    That paper also runs Hitchens, at least when he bashes a Clinton. Interesting to see if this makes an appearance.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm a damned Yankee, and even I can say General Lee was a man of honor. He was respected just as much by Union generals with whom he served before the secession as he was by the Confederacy.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

He may have had honor, but he was also treasonous.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You say treasonous, I say staunch advocate of states' rights and a Virginia man. And, again, I'm a Yankee who thinks slavery was/is abhorrent.

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Oh, I find his anti-God rhetoric to be despicable. Like he was there when the universe was created, or something.
    I was just judging this piece on its own merits.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Hitchens is an astounding douche, but, as others have noted, he was correct here. Seriously, can anyone explain to me how the fuck this remark wasn't jumped on?

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Lee swore an oath to uphold the constitution of the United Statea and not Virginia. When actually asked to do so, he said no, resigned his comission and fought against the United States, the country he had formerly sworn to protect.
    It was his new country who ordered the deaths of American commanders if they had freed slaves fighting for the Union in their units.
    The worship of Lee stems partly from the fact that he kept his mouth shut after the war and his involvement in higher ed. That and the Sigma Nu's worship at a Lee alter.
    Lee should have been hung.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

See, and there's where Chris can't win. I'm a devout atheist who thought that book was well argued and destined to do not much good, since, as you said, it treated the issue as largely solvable rather than intractable.

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I'm no fan of Lee, but I admire many treasonous figures, including the founding fathers of the USA, Toussaint l'Overture, Simon Bolivar, Gerrard Winstanley, Wolfe Tone, Charles Stewart Parnell and many, many more.

Anyway, I remain floored that Huck's remark has not been made much of.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Whatever. He wasn't. He was respected until his death, whether you like it or not.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I thought it was Kappa Alpha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.