1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hitchens sets Huck, MSM Enablers on Blast

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jgmacg, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the decanter this morning.

http://www.slate.com/id/2182358/

Discuss.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Dead-on.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

He may be a little cranky on this issue, but he is correct. Huckabee is not very well versed on history and international politics. The man just isn’t as knowledgeable. This is a fact that hasn’t been brought up nearly enough.

Hitchens is dead on accurate with this statement:

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

As ever with Hitchens, his rhetorical style leaves me ice cold.

That said, he's correct on the merits.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Well, all I know is that Chuck Norris is on Huckabee's side.

And God has his back:

6. Anyone who read Hitchens' embarrassing foray into NASCAR in VF will find the current revival of his OBE snobbery pretty fucking hilarious.

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Hitchens is a total ass, but I always enjoy his writing. It's fun when he's on your side of an argument.

8. I largely agree with him, but the link to the Xmas card was an unnecessary and irrelevant shot.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hitchens drives me around the bend, but he's pretty much bang-on in this column.

Gov. Huckabee is the self-anointed candidate of the simple and traditional Christian folk who hate smart-ass, educated, big-city types, and if you dare to attack him for his vulgarity and stupidity and bigotry, he will accuse you of prejudice in return.

Oh, and for FB's entertainment here's an interview with Hitchen's soulmate David Frum from last night's CBC's The Hour.

http://www.cbc.ca/thehour/video.php?id=1909

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

How could you have a problem with his rhetoric here? This is brilliantly written. I just wish instead of bashing the mainstream media, he'd take it by storm and stir up this issue. He could get it done. TV loves having him as a guest.
    Get off your butt, Mr. Hitch, and make it happen instead of just grousing about how no one else does. Go on O'Reilly or H/C and fight with those knuckleheads.

11. His appearance on Hannity and Colmes is fun. He puts Hannity in his snotty ass little place by being an even bigger snotty ass.

Fun stuff. His appearances on Bill Maher are just infuriating, though.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It's my own baggage, I'm sure, Two, but I just can't abide the guy's tone.

It sounds great when you agree with him, as though there could be no possible thinking person who disagreed. When you're the unfortunate minority opinion, in Hitchens-World, it's a little less satisfying.

There is a place for polemecism, to be sure, he just rankles for the sake of rankling. That said, about Huckabee, he's largely correct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.