1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

History Will Beat Them With A Stick

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Apr 10, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

We bitch about human rights and then the world finds out we waterboard prisoners? That's hypocrisy in the worst order.

The world judges us by whether or not we practice what we preach. When we don't, we lose all moral authority to complain about other nations and their human rights abuses.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

If we now refer to advocacy of basic human rights and a common sense approach to national security and diplomacy as the "lunatic fringe," I'm going to have to move even farther downtown.

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

He's in CTU, dick.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Torture is not the only method to gain evidence. On top of this, you have the FACT! that torture does not work.

Fine, torture away. But you need to realize that whatever you "gain" from torture will be false.

5. Joel_Goodsen

Joel_Goodsen Member

I think if you read my original post I clearly stated I have mixed feelings about this war. However, I just believe if you are going to war, go there with the idea of winning.

And frankly, comparing Hussein's treatment of law-abiding and mostly ordinary citizens within his country to the treatment of prisoners of war is just plain silly.

Saddam Hussein's brand of torture of his citizenry is not close to being comparable to torturing prisoners to gain intelligence about our enemies.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I do hope the intelligentsia can answer questions I have long held. Prior to 9/11, did America actively support torture as a form of intelligence gathering? Or did we try to cultivate sources of information?

Mazel, my friend. Here's hoping for 20,000 more.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Really? And this is important for what reason?

You know Jack Bauer's a fictional character, right?

8. Joel_Goodsen

Joel_Goodsen Member

Again -- fuck what the world thinks -- we are at war. Period.

We don't torture our own citizens. We treat our citizens with respect and with decency. We don't have human rights violations here in our country and we expect others to follow suit.

To try and compare what we do TO PRISONERS IN A WAR to the way, say the Chinese government treats the women and children and religous people in that country, is just plain ridiculous.

It is apples and oranges.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

What? He's not real?

This has been a crappy day. First some girl named Tiffany isn't hand crafting the Giants Super Bowl rings and now this.

At least Santa Claus is real.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Joel - You know Saddam had nothing to do with the attack on September 11th, right?

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

We treat our citizens with respect? This is the same administration that used the Patriot Act to monitor our phone calls and e-mails

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Uh, I was kidding. Way to handle that one, though. Smooth.

Draft saved Draft deleted