1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

History repeating itself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Aug 7, 2006.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

I didn't serve.

My grandfather did and was awarded a purple heart and my father, oldest brother and two nephews all served in the Navy. So, as a group, I hve great admiration and respect for the military.

However, I do not respect some know-it-all Joe Navy who decides to shout down anyone who hasn't served because he's decided they have no right to take any pro-military stance.

You served, great. I appreciate the sacrifice, but you could drop the superiority complex.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

First of all, if you think I have a superiority complex, you're a dumbass of the highest order, bar none. Second, notice my post. I said the people who are quickest in the call to arms are often the slowest to respond. In case that concept can't filter through your brick-filled brain, it means if you feel strongly enough about something, get your ass out there and serve.

No more, and no less.

And leave to someone who is insincere in their "praise and admiration" to call anyone Joe Navy.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

That praise and admiration is extended to the military as a group, an indispensable entity that protects our nation's freedom.

But that doesn't mean I respect every individual member of the military.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

There's nothing in the quote posted above that's untrue. For example, if you look at the three biggest warmongers to occupy the White House in the last 30 years (numbers 40, 42, 43), none of them had any military service of consequence. That tells you something.

And, regarding superiority around these parts, I graciously bow to anyone who has served because they certainly know more of what they speak than those of us who haven't. I know a shitload of military history but I will always defer to Little Man's Daddy when the discussions here turn to matters of the modern military.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I could give a bucket-full of steam's worth of concern about whether or not you respect me or other members of the military. That's immaterial to this discussion. Stay on focus because there's no need for a pissing match.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Read the column a couple of times and had trouble connecting the issues of the late 30s to Hizbollah.

However, I understand and agree with the writer that most of the country is ignoring the terrorist group.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

JJ, it was called the Cuban Missile Crisis.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I already answered him, JR.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sorry, Doc, missed it.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Thank you, chickenhawk.

A worthy admission.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

pallister, don't make me post the unsolicited nastygrams I received, CHICKENHAWK. Because I don't give a fuck about the protocol here regarding that.

If you ever think about calling my mama names on the candies they're going up.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You do that, LJB, you have TWO more enemies around here.

Draft saved Draft deleted