1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

History Press (or, writing a book)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Jul 14, 2011.

1. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Is anyone here familiar with History Press?

A few weeks ago, the head of the English department at my alma mater (also my former teacher 20 years ago) gave my name to this publishing house. It contacting him about writing a book concerning our school against our rival, which is the oldest high school football game in the nation. He said he had no interest, but that I might, and I do. I've written about the rivalry enough for my paper over the years (we cover both schools).

I've been e-mailing the guy from HP over the past few weeks and it seems like it's a go; they're enthusiastic, etc.

Is anyone familiar with History Press? Seems like they, obviously, concentrate a lot of their publications on local history. Just wondering if anyone had any background, as well as wondering if anyone could give me any advice on dealing with book publishers - what to look out for, how to best approach the writing, is it actually lucrative, etc. I know a few of you have written books. This is my first foray.

I'm looking forward to it but after writing news stories for so long, it might be a challenge to not write concisely. I've been given about 32,000 to 35,000 words, which I believe shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks, folks.

2. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

It is not a go until you sign on the dotted line. I dealt with History Press and he was quite enthusiastic as well. That was almost 3 months ago. Of course, the hangup was I don't live in area my book is focused on; doesn't seem to be an issue for you.

3. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Yeah, the one with whom I spoke seems pretty enthusiastic too. I think a contract is forthcoming ... going to have a lawyer friend go over it.

Draft saved Draft deleted