1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Historical information on Sport magazine

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Not a lot, but it's something for those of us who grew up with the magazine:

http://www.things-and-other-stuff.com/magazines/sport-magazine.html

Wouldn't it be nice if someone archived the old issues on the Internet? I would even pay for a CD that had the old issues.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Sport was the first magazine I subscribed to.
    Sporting News later on, then SI about the time I got to college.
    I didn't realize Sport lived as late as 2000.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

IIRC, they always had wild pre-season #1s for college football.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

It was painful watching Sport try to keep up with ESPN The Magazine in the late '90s.

Not as painful as it was reading Steve Garvey's Letter From The Editor, though.

Inside Sports was the absolute best. I wish it was still around. Didn't Sport's parent company buy it, close it down and combine its subscriber base w/Sport?

5. Smasher_Sloan

Inside Sports, for as long as it was owned by Newsweek, was tremendous. Then the Baseball Digest people bought it and it was never special again.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Some of the Sport photography is here:

http://www.thesportgallery.com/index.html

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I have many copies of Sport...somewhere. If someone is hard up to have them, I'll be more than willing to look for them and let you know what copies I have.
    I also have Sports Spectrum (Christian-based sports mag) and some old SIs from the 70s. I know I have a Tracy Austin cover with pigtails and braces.

I think a pic of Jack Clark flipping the bird with the headline "What's wrong with the Red Sox" came from Sport. As a 7th grader...I LOVED having that issue.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Almost as wild as Anson Mount's for Hugh's skin mag.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Good Lord, each version of the Sport logo looks 10 years behind its time. No wonder it folded!

10. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

My personal favorite:
    http://www.thesportgallery.com/products/covers/1977may.html

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I subscribed to Sport a couple years in the mid-90s. Too football and basketball heavy for this baseball guy, so I switched to Baseball Digest.

12. Writer33

Writer33 Member

I was in Europe in the mid 70s to mid 80s serving in Uncle Sam's canoe club. I couldn't wait for latest edition of Sport to hit the Exchange. (That and Circus magazine.)

Draft saved Draft deleted