1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hispanics (heart) Hillary?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by writing irish, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Damn, it'll be 80-20 Hillary in Texas then.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's why Obama would fare better in the general election than Hillary...

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This can't be emphasized enough. In southern california, the black/latino schism is very bad on middle school and high school campuses.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Does adding the apostrophe into Obama's last name help him lock down the Irish immigrant vote? Shit, this could be like Gangs of New York all over again.

5. Mizzougrad96

This is true if they actually vote. Historically, they don't... There is plenty of reason to think this year will be different though...

6. Mizzougrad96

This guy is definitely voting for Hillary...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The enthusiasm levels in both Dem camps this year are quite remarkable.

8. As a Hispanic (Puerto Rican) I voted for Obama for a few reasons.

1) He is the only political candidate to ever speak to me. I just feel like he's connecting to me and no one has ever been able to do that before.

2) He is inexperienced, but to me that means he's not going to go down the same paths others have to get things done. I think he'll create his own path that others will eventually follow when it's all said and done.

3) He's black. I'll admit that is part of the reason I voted for him because black/brown issues are mostly the same. There is a large segment of the black/brown population in this country that is uneducated and in a vicious cycle. Teenagers aren't going to school and getting in trouble because there is no structure at home. There is no structure at home because that is the way they were brought up. Rinse. Repeat. Obama made an interesting point on this during one of his debates and it stuck with me. The cycle has to stop. Whether the government reaches out to people with programs, etc. Something has to give. And I know people don't want help. They don't think they need it, they don't think anything is wrong. They need to strive for better things in life. Go to college, have a career (not journalism ;D), make a better life for yourself. Yeah, you're gonna make a lot more money slinging crack, but the consequences are enormous. Do you want to keep getting shuffled in and out juvi hall, jail, being on probation, etc. It's an issue I have a lot of passion about because if even a small percentage of the black/brown population changes their life for the better, this country would be a much better place. I dated this one Puerto Rican chick that was floored by me at times because she never dated another Hispanic who was educated, didn't talk in slang, had a career, etc. That's what's going on in the black/brown community. They are ignorant or don't want to accept there is a better place for them in society.

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Thanks, Prince, for rescuing this thread from Mizzou-scented fail.

10. It's cool, even though I like Mizzou. ;D

11. I definitely think it's a great issue to discuss, but I don't think there are many minorities on the board to help discuss the issue.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

On this board, I'm a minority. But I have no relevant insights on the topic at hand.

Draft saved Draft deleted