1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'His tiny Asian wife'....yesterday's Deadspin

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Mar 25, 2007.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Bingo.

2. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I think this thread perfectly illustrates why sites like deadspin and gawker are popular.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

And that would be ...?

4. BG

BG Member

Looks like the editors missed one.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I don't see your point. That is, assuming you have one.

6. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Shaugnessy's column -- aptly skewered on firejoemorgan.com -- is a joke.

It's excellent proof that having editors and professional reporters doesn't prevent newspapers from running stupid, poorly written or utterly pointless content.

7. boots

boots New Member

here. here.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I would say that it's satire. If he did it all the time, as Art Buchwald did, everybody gets it, although some people like me do indeed see it as a waste of space even when well done, but understand that it's not only an accepted literary device but device with a long newspaper tradition. Do it once in a while, though, and retarded people like the firejoemorgan blogger are lost. Satire? Sat on a tire? What tire? Oh, satire? I cut class that day to go to a Trekkie convention.

9. Mighty_Wingman

Ugh. "Trekkie convention?" Yep...all them Internet people are just nerds. NERDS, I say.

There's nothing wrong with satire. Honestly, an overinflated boob like Curt Shilling begs for satire. But Shaughnessy's fake Schilling blog entry ain't exactly Jonathan Swift.

10. Mighty_Wingman

The fact is, plenty of people in our industry see the Internet as a threat to the way we do business. (For the most part, they're right.)

But the response of far too many people in newspapers is to mock and denigrate the Internet as nothing more than a collection of nerds living in their moms' basements. Let's face it: Bloggers and blog readers are among the most avid consumers of our product, sports journalism. Whats the point of making idiotic snide jokes about Star Trek?

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

walton has an asian wife?

12. Mighty_Wingman

Apparently.

Draft saved Draft deleted