1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

His Schwartz wasn't big enough: Lone Star is first show canceled

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Heroes killed itself.

NBC did some strange things with it as far as hiatuses in the first season, but the storytelling was strong so the show only gained viewership as the season went on.

Then came the second season, which Heroes never recovered from. But NBC didn't jerk it around. It was in the same timeslot throughout; the writers just ran out of good ideas.

2. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

Wasn't it always up against another big show? I'm thinking maybe Monday Night Football, which probably only cut into a slim portion of the audience, and something else at the time too?

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Not sure . . . could have been 24.

But the audience for Heroes didn't waver until midway through the second season.

4. DCaraviello

DCaraviello Member

Knew this was coming for "Lone Star," but hate to hear it. We watched both episodes, and for a traditional network offering, it was a good show. The universal critical acclaim was well-deserved. Even the wife (who doesn't enjoy the same kind of programming I do) liked it. The whole concept of this con man trying to keep all these plates in the air, while trying to play husband to two wives and placate a conniving father, worked very well. I hear they only shot five episodes, and I'm guessing we'll never see the other three, but I would have very much liked to have seen where it went.

Now, with "Lone Star" gone, it's time to worry about two of my other favorite new shows -- "Terriers" and "Rubicon." Neither has exactly been killing it in the ratings, and from reading Sepinwall it seems renewals are kind of iffy. Both are very, very intelligent, engaging programs, and I'm going to be very disappointed if neither makes it to a year two.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Surprised to hear about all the acclaim.

Even the Druish Princess gave Lone Star the raspberry.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

My big problem with networks is the way that they go about ratings. How is it possible that in this day and age, we’re still reliant on a bunch of couch potatoes that have their television sets drilled into?

Screw that, all of these cable companies know what I’m watching and when I’m watching it. My cable box DVR won’t work unless it’s connected to the Verizon FiOS input box. My old Comcast DVR was the same.

If cable companies had any brains, they would do their own research on what shows are watched live, how many are recorded and what is the demographic of the houses that are watching them. There is no reason that a reasonably accurate ratings system doesn’t exist.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So, I guess "Lone Star" is the BYH of this fall season?

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

NOOO!!!! Terriers is the best new show of the season. It's as relaxing and enjoyable as a cold Pacifico downed at a PCH bar at sunset.

Draft saved Draft deleted