1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

His Schwartz wasn't big enough: Lone Star is first show canceled

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Sep 28, 2010.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

OMG, how could you MISS it, unless all you watch on TV is DVRed stuff. Heavens, maybe I just watch a lot of Fox, but these commercials were on more than Idol ones are.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They showed commercials for it nonstop during football.

3. Mizzougrad96

One of the other problems is that House is getting about half the ratings it used to and wasn't the lead-in Fox hoped it would be.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Props

5. Mizzougrad96

Yeah major props. I thought the buzz and the House lead-in would be enough for this show to get enough of a following to hang around.

Between the CBS comedies and DWTS, there isn't a lot of room for success on a Monday night. Maybe Fox is getting what it deserves for canceling 24.

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Fox should have cancelled 24 about three years ago.

7. Mizzougrad96

Based on quality, you're probably right. Based on ratings, they canceled it at the right time.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

24 would still be in mothballs if it was alive, so Lone Star would be fucked regardless.

The show didn't look very good to me, but its quick cancellation is proof that despite all the buzz its shows get, Fox is just a horrendously run network. They had to lose a fortune by dumping Lone Star this quick. Weeks ago, I was at the mall and I saw a huge display ad for Lone Star. And as has been noted here, ads for the show were ALL OVER THE PLACE during football games and other Fox programming. If you believe in something that much, don't dump it after two weeks. Move it to another night or push the show to 8 pm one Monday night or have the stars show up in the booth with Troy and Joe. Now these poor guys won't even get to watch a baseball playoff game!

This is also proof it's better to be a slow but steady show, b/c Fox will always keep you around on the sidelines to plug in when a high-profile show tanks. See: That '70s Show, Bones and now Lie To Me.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Two shows? Why even bother putting the show out there then?

And I'm not just ripping on FOX. I'm ripping on other networks too. All too often, I'm hearing of shows cancelling after four or five episodes.

And because of that, I'm not going to bother to watch any prime time show on a network because, odds are, that show won't be around in two months. And why should I invest my time in watching something that I'll never see a satisfying conclusion to.

The last two network shows I've watched were Lost and the West Wing. Part of that was due to working at night and those shows were on my nights off. But I saw both shows having staying power, so I stayed with them. A fly-by-night show, I wouldn't give the time of day for.

10. Mizzougrad96

Fox is very close to being American Idol and nothing else.

I like House, but it's one of those shows I'll catch up on later in the year when the other stuff is in reruns. Running Wilde is mediocre. The show with the kid who knocked up the woman on death row is good, but it's not anything special. I've heard Bones is solid, but I've never seen an episode and I have no desire to.

11. Mizzougrad96

I've never understood why networks are so quick with the hook. There's really no reason you shouldn't let a show go at least 10 weeks before pulling it. They've already paid for the episodes, so why not use them? Lone Star got terrible ratings, but whatever they put there in place of it is going to do just as badly.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Maybe if DVRs recorded more than two shows it would have had a chance. It's got to suck to get that much good press one week, touted the "next big thing" and out of work the next.

And the reason you yank a show like Lone Star is that it was serialized. Each hour built on the previous episode. Throw in the fact that the show lost viewers from it's first 15 minutes to its last 15 minutes was the writing on the wall.

Draft saved Draft deleted