1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hiring Writers for CBSSports.com NFL Correspondent Network

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jetssack, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jetssack

jetssack Member

From JJobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1051313

Position: Hiring Writers for CBSSports.com NFL Correspondent Network
    Job Status: Temporary
    Salary: Commission/Contract
    Ad Expires: June 10, 2009
    Job ID: 1051313

Description:

Bleacher Report is thrilled to announce an exciting new position being brought to you by CBSSports.com and BleacherReport.com.

The CBSSports.com NFL Correspondent Network is a unique opportunity whereby sports journalists will be given the chance to provide in-depth coverage of NFL teams as fully credentialed members of the press corps.

CBSSports.com and Bleacher Report will select one writer to follow each of the NFL’s 32 teams from the club’s training camp and practices through their regular season and playoff games. The reporters covering the AFC and NFC Champions will also be credentialed to cover Super Bowl XLIV for CBSSports.com and BleacherReport.com.

Candidates will be evaluated on the basis of written work submitted during the evaluation period, as well as education and prior journalism experience. The program is open to any qualified applicant.

Please feel free to submit an application and forward this post to any interested friends or coworkers. Applications are currently being accepted.

Apply Here:
    http://bleacherreport.com/cbs/correspondents

2. Sports journalists with a chance to provide in-depth coverage of NFL teams as fully credentialed members of the press corps? Wow. That is unique.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Notice no mention of a salary. "Commission/Contract" sounds like a revenue share to me. And those always work out for the writer!

4. If you click the link...it looks like the pay is 400 a week. Seems like it would be a fun hobby, but I'm not sure about trying to turn this into a job

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well, I assumed the worst. It's usually the right instinct.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Can I do this from home? I would supplement my income by writing NFL based stories based on the myriad SportsJournalists.com threads on the NFL. It might have a slight Steelers bias.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't assume the worst about this. I've talked to a few people about it and I've also seen what's going on in the job market. MLB.com isn't paying its interns, right?
    So this is entry level - is that a negative?
    If I'm a young person looking for an in during difficult times, I wouldn't be so quick to sneer here. Can you support a family on this? Probably not. If you are in position to bust hump for a season, you can make a little bit of money and make some inroads.
    This one has the Moddy Seal and you haven't seen that handed out much lately.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

True 'nough. The only thing I didn't like was the exclusivity tag tacked onto that $400 paycheck, but getting some NFL clips AND getting paid can't be an altogether bad thing.

(Doesn't matter in my case, because I think the local franchise is ready to shoot me on sight right now, but that's a different story ...)

9. JD

JD Member

I got laid off from my rag back in November.......Covering mostly preps.....If I lived close enough to my local team (which is 2 and a half hours away) I would jump on this. But, I can't.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

To me, this sounds like a full-time job (cover every preseason practice?) with stringer pay. Perfect for somebody right out of college whose parents are willing to provide financial support. Probably not great for the rest of us.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Seems like a lot of effort for $400 a week. Will they pay mileage? I'm assuming no benefits also. I'm sure it could be a good opportunity and I respect Moddy, but I don't think this is quite as great as some are making it out to be.

But that's just me.

Edit: There, I took out glorious, though I really like that word.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Who said glorious?
    I said it was a fine opportunity for some. Obviously, it is not for everybody.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.