1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

hiring question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txsportsscribe, Jul 23, 2007.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i have a news general assignments opening at a very small daily in texas i need to fill and am in the initial stage of reviewing resumes. one of the resume that i've put in the "further consideration" file is from an applicant in canada. does anyone know of any hoops you have to jump through when considering hiring an applicant from canada?

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I heard it's preferential treatment to U.S. residents before those overseas, but I'm not completely certain that's the law.

3. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

What ocean is located between Canada and the US?

And I'd contact the Canuck to find out if he/she has duel citizenship. If he/she doesn't, I doubt you will be able to hire him/her for a small daily. You have to show that the Canadian you are hiring gives you skills that you can not find in an American--it would be one thing to hire a Canadian as your NHL beat writer, another to get one to cover preps....

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

There are some lakes. Perhaps I should have said international applicants.

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I think you missed the sarcasm ;)

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I think you have to provide them with a frozen lake to skate on during off days ... can be expensive.

7. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I thought a Green Card, criminal/child abuse check....but heck what do I know, I never applied to the States. I do know doctors have to go through this to work States side

8. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

You know -- nunchuck skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills ...

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Do not hire someone from Canada. They use too many vowels. You run out, and then what are you gonna do?

10. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

Do me a favour. Please don't belabour that point. It colours my view of you.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

To say nothing of all those manhours spent changing -re to -er.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

My paper hired a Canadian citizen. He had a green card and everything was fine, though he was already living in the States when he was hired.

Draft saved Draft deleted