1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hiring decision: SE vs SR

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by North61, Aug 16, 2006.

1. North61

North61 Member

Say a SE and a reporter from a paper apply for same job, any job at different paper

Say the reporter has better clips (design and stories) than the SE- would the person hiring pick the SE over the reporter just based on the title?

I'm not in this situation, but I can forsee it happening.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I've seen it go the other way. A sports editor and a reporter from a small paper that was going out of business were the top two candidates for a writing position at a larger paper.

The reporter was simply better and turned out to be a very good hire. He's still there. Not sure what ever happened to the SE.

3. BH33

BH33 Member

I was at a paper as a reporter and a fellow reporter and the sports editor both went after the same job at a better place (the SE writes as much as the reporter). Personally, I thought the SE was better, but the reporter got hired.

4. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

I got the job I have now after applying for it knowing the SE where I was had applied as well.

If the stuff is stronger, most people don't care about titles.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This happened to me at my first daily gig — both the SE and ASE slots were open. A guy with a lot more experience than I moved over from the newsside and started as the SE and I was the ASE, and looking back, I'm glad it happened that way because I did learn a lot from him. After 3 months he reverted back to news and I became SE, and I think I was better for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted