1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hip Hop stars still hustling

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 2, 2015.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Never seen Steely Dan. Rush is great live.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I saw them twice and came away unimpressed. I really liked their music but I couldn't understand a word that Chuck D was saying and I thought that they were very flat as performers.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Talented musicians have better success than novelty acts? You don't say.

Of course, that doesn't explain Kiss.

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I don't see this as a comment on cultural differences and more a continuation of supply and demand.

If those acts could sell out Madison Square Garden, they would. They can't, so they are booked at smaller venues.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I saw RUN DMC in the early 2000s and was not expecting much. They had a bit of renaissance because of the remake of It's Tricky. Holy Crap what a show.

First thing they did was tell everyone to get up and rush the stage and dance, bouncers were not impressed. Show was in a 1600 seat theatre and I swear the balcony was moving. They stayed and signed autographs for 90 minutes after. It seemed like they were jazzed to play a sold out show after falling off for a while.

Generally speaking I don't think live Rap shows are as good as Rock shows in huge venues anyway but as said above, if they could sellout MSG they would play there.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I would be very curious to see the age breakdown of people who go to the most concerts. I'll bet it's very high for under 25-30 and very high for over 55-60.

How else do you explain how the top tours are George Strait, Billy Joel, Paul Simon/Sting, One Direction, Justin Timberlake, Katy Perry...

I'm 41 and most of the top grossing tours are singers/bands who were before my time, or geared at teenagers.

There aren't too many acts from the 1980s and 1990s on these lists.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I saw Run-D.M.C. a few times during their peak, the last of which was in 1987 at MSG with the Beasties. The next time that I saw them was in 1997 at Tramps and their setlist was identical to the MSG show. I then saw them a few years later at a charity event where D.M.C. basically couldn't rap and had Jam Master Jay do most of his lines and once again it was the same exact setlist to the other two shows.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The article's commentary about the lack of "classic rap" radio probably isn't relevant today; I'm sure there are plenty of kids digging "old school" rappers via Pandora. Doubtful that over-the-airwaves radio moves the needle much for the 25 and younger crowd.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What's the old-school rap channel on SiriusXM called? Backspin, maybe? Good channel.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Got a Groupon ad for Steely Dan with Elvis Costello AND THE IMPOSTERS at Juffy Lube Pavilliion, formerly Nissan Pavillion in NoVa for an early August concert. Its a Wednesday night. Traffic from my locale to NoVa in a weekday evening makes it difficult without taking a day off. But its a helluva concert

Draft saved Draft deleted