1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hip Hop stars still hustling

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Their music doesn't age as well, IMO. I listen to 80s rap now, and it just sounds dumb. It had its place and time, but i dont care to hear it anymore.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

80s rap is miles better than the garbage rap of today.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I will get off your lawn now Jack.

JackReacher likes this.
  4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I don't think too many people regardless of race, in the 40-50 age range want to go to a rap concert.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

DC is full of them.

6. RecoveringJournalist

The boy band reunions seem to make a truckload of money too.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Having gone to more than my share of rap concerts during the 1980s, most of these acts never played more than medium-sized venues during their prime. And lets just say that almost none of them were known for their live performances.

8. RecoveringJournalist

I thought Public Enemy was great live. I saw them several times, a couple with just them, a couple when they were touring with Anthrax and a couple when they were opening for U2. I saw Snoop and Dre probably 20 years ago and they were great too.

9. Wu Tang Clan.
    2 Live Crew.

All of the above mentioned rappers are better than Steely Dan and Rush.

I suspect a lot of it race-related. I like rap. I listen to old stuff a lot. That said, not sure I - 40-year-old white guy - would go to a Wu Tang concert.

10. RecoveringJournalist

Yeah, I'm 41 and the last rap concert I went to was Outkast well over a decade ago, probably 2002 or 2003. Before that, it would have been when A Tribe Called Quest toured with the Beastie Boys in 2000 or so.

11. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

I'll leave the debate on the merits of 80s/90s rap to you fine people. That said - there's nothing at all wrong with Steely Dan or Rush.

I Should Coco likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted