1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hip Hop BEYOND BEATS AND RHYMES - A PBS DOCUMENTARY

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Sportsbruh, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Jason Whitlock have stolen information from Byron Hurt to satisfy his NEW claim as the Black Cultural Critic.
    For a more insightful, thoughtful and through analysis of Hip hop go Here:

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/hiphop/film.htm

PBS have shown this already, and I'm sure they will show it again.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You're angry.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Since when did he become a plural?

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Have you seen the guy? [/sorryjason,jokehadtobemade]

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. Rick Shanley

Rick Shanley Member

He Hate Me?

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Someone is explaining rap?

How hard is it to explain endless pounding on the bottom of a coffee can mixed in with stolen lyrics from actually good songs, all to a mind-numbing endless beat, with a bunch of 'N' and 'F' words thrown in?

8. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

You mean stolen beats. Actually, they pay for those beats. Suffice to say, this have already been done by people more closely attached to the community - that can best critique it.

An embittered, ROUGE blog writer seeking attention is not qualified.

9. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

He have a point. :D

10. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

http://mybleedingfingertips.blogspot.com/

Several more capable minds have weighed in on Uncle Ruckus' (jason whitlock) weekend in Vegas, but let's look at them in juxtaposition to another blitzkrieg of similar statements made by Bill Cosby. (*via Straight Bangin' ) The problem of 'mainstream' hip hop peddling violence, misogyny, homophobia and corrosive misrepresentations of the black community is hardly a new one, an ever growing movement of dissent having existed within the culture for years now. The NBA had shed it's notorious label of being "too black" during Michael Jordan's tenure, only to have the issue rear it's ugly head again in the past decade with it's marriage to hip hop. Which leads us to Whitlock's diatribe, disguised as "Real Talk". (Yeah, you and Glenn Beck.) While he and Dr. Huxtable may be delivering the same message, I doubt they have the same motivations.

It's certainly within reason to question whether these types of statements should be made publicly by anyone-black or not-and if so, whether Bill Cosby should be the one to express them given his history. However, his commitment to the education and empowerment of black youth is unassailable. He's spent countless hours promoting the necessity of a robust learning experience to minorities, and has backed that talk up with money-lots of it-including a one time $20 million donation to Spelman College. A man of such means has no need for self promotion, Cosby's only agenda is to draw attention to the problems at hand. A willingness to step outside of his gregarious public image and become a controversial lightning rod in the process, in my opinion, is indicative of a genuine desire to save the future of his race.

On the contrary, Jason Whitlock's hateful denunciations draw attention solely to himself. They are never made within the context of a productive discussion or at a symposium, they're only in his columns, 'real' angry, aimless talk. A reasonable man would assume that someone as committed in theory to a black renaissance as Whitlock has also committed the time, effort, or money that are prerequisite to making such incendiary statements. Ha. Whitlock probably thinks a collection plate is something restaurants use to pile up uneaten food for him. Has he ever provided any true analysis or solutions? Ha. In his eagerness to brand Scoop Jackson and practically an entire culture as savage caricatures of black incivility, he seems oblivious to the fact that he easily fits the description of another narrow minded stereotype, ol' Uncle Tom...

So is all of this just his plan to get into white heaven? Could be. It would definitely explain the Gospel of Jeff George. Why else would Big Greasy paint his vitriolic masterpieces with such broad strokes, ignoring the fact that violence and misogyny are lucrative for, and detrimental to, all races? WWF? Girls Gone Wild? The Sopranos? Or how the Nu Klan held their rally in a city built by organized crime. A city that promises discretion to it's visitors while they cheat on their spouses and feed their addictions might attract 'undesireables'.) Because like those talking heads, and those whom he despises, Big Dummy is only interested in self preservation. So fuck him.

The only thing Big Wasteofsperm succeeded in doing was taking a bite out of something bigger than he could finish. David Stern is well aware of the "landmine issues"-race and class-and he's also astute enough to sidestep them. Are we really asking the Commissioner to become W.E.B. Du Bois? These are issues reflected by the NBA, not rooted in it. I'm not a big Sinatra fan, I can't stand Brooks & Dunn, and Wayne Newton frightens me. The NBA hasn't exactly embraced hip hop as a collective, and until the percentages of black folks in the stands match those on the court it's going to stay that way. I understand it, and I don't find anything particularly wrong with it. "It's just business." Tell 'em, String. However, what I would like to see more of from the league is an embracing of the communities that produce it's workforce. This is not to rally for a Lil' Weezy performance at next year's halftime show, but to ask for more stories like a Caron Butler. Stories of human frailties and redemption that can shatter stereotypes. Lord knows Jason Whitlock won't write them.

11. Awesome! Sportsbruh has a BLOG!

12. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Fixed.

Draft saved Draft deleted