1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hinton: Don't bash NASCAR

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by budcrew08, Nov 28, 2008.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Good column. Gives me some ammo against the non-NASCAR fans that I know.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/columns/story?columnist=hinton_ed&id=3729492&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab4pos2

Ha. EDIT to add the column.

2. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

definitely.

Who's Hinton and where's his column?

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Fuckin NASCAR fans are so stupid they can't even link on the first try.

:D :D :D

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Ed, it's no use.

Signed,

Americans who like soccer

5. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

ha. yup.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Hinton: Don't bash Ponyboy.

[​IMG]

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Whenever you say NASCAR -- or the World Series of Poker, for that matter -- isn't a sport, you are simply wrong, by the most definitive arbiter of the American language.

Well, actually, NASCAR is a governing body for a form of auto racing. The World Series of Poker is a poker tournament. Neither are sports.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I find it a bit troubling that someone would justify readers' uncensored rants by writing a column about them. Let it go.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

THAT THERE AIN'T FUNNY NO HOW! IT'S BETTER RACIN THAN THEM BUMBLIBEES!!! [welcometomystate]

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Awesome.

You can, though, bash the movie version of "That Was Then, This Is Now" whenever you want.

11. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

This was a perfect column for a week when little was going on in the sport (aside from a search for new money, which will go on all winter). The columnist starts a fight to keep readers reading (and commenting). Works for me.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Um, Ed ... ever had your life threatened by someone because you wrote a critical piece about NASCAR?

I have. So this argument won't fly with me. Period.

NASCAR fans, at least too many I've run into, act as if the organization is infallible. Understanding that one could go too far in criticizing an organization, that wasn't the case here. Or at least I don't think so.

I like Ed Hinton. His writing is engaging, it makes a lot of sense and has been willing to take different views to hammer his point home. But he missed here - again, at least with me.

Draft saved Draft deleted