1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hingis accused of positive test for cocaine

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Nov 1, 2007.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Announces retirement.

:eek:

ZURICH, Switzerland (AP) _ Martina Hingis said Thursday she has been accused of testing positive for cocaine at Wimbledon, and then announced her retirement from professional tennis.

Hingis, a five-time Grand Slam champion and former Wimbledon winner, denied using cocaine. The 27-year-old Swiss player lost in the third round at Wimbledon to Laura Granville, 6-4, 6-2.

Hingis returned to the sport two years ago after a four-year absence because of injuries. She won three straight Australian Open titles from 1997-99, and Wimbledon and the U.S. Open championships in 1997.

Hingis, who lost in the third round of the U.S. Open, hasn't played since her second-round loss to Peng Shuai of China, 7-5, 6-1, in Beijing on Sept. 19.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

You're telling me all it would have taken was a little snow and I coulda had a shot at/with Hingis?

NOW I find out.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Switzerland ... snow ... I get it!

4. John

John Well-Known Member

ZURICH, Nov 1 (Reuters) - Former world number one Martina Hingis said on Thursday she had tested positive for cocaine during Wimbledon this year and announced she was retiring from the professional tennis.

"I have tested positive but I have never taken drugs and I feel 100 percent innocent," the five-times grand slam champion from Switzerland told a news conference.

"The reason I have come out with this is because I do not want to have a fight with anti-doping authorities.

"Because of my age and my health problems I have also decided to retire from professional tennis."

In a statement later released by her management, the 27-year-old said she found the accusation of drug-taking "so horrendous, so monstrous, that I have decided to confront it head-on by talking to the press."

The statement added: "I would personally be terrified of taking drugs. When I was informed (about the test) I was shocked and appalled."

Hingis added that she had undergone a private test that came back negative and consulted an attorney.

"The attorney and his experts discovered various inconsistencies with the urine sample that was taken during Wimbledon.

"He is also convinced that the doping officials mishandled the process and would not be able to prove that the urine that was tested for cocaine actually came from me."

Hingis said she had also been advised that any fight to clear her name could drag on for years.

"And so, considering this situation, my age and the problems I have been having with my hip, I have decided to no longer play tennis on the Tour."

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

This sounds really fishy.

Maybe she was taking it for a pitutary gland tumor.

I found her strangely attractive over the last few years, even if you could park a 747 on her forehead.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I wonder whether she got it from an online dentist.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

sniff, sniff......I feel sorry for Martina......sniff, sniff.

Sniff, sniff.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Have a Coke and a Smile!

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

and shut the fuck up!

10. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Retiring the day you're accused isn't the best defense. It would seem if you're accused of sniffing coke you'd fight like hell, not give up.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The story indicated she would fight it.

12. GravyTrain

GravyTrain Guest

REDBALLS! Cocaine in a can, baby!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted